We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

Which Saugatuck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
celina, oh
boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

We have plans to stay next week at the Ship & Shore in Saugatuck. Our concern....Is it worth bringing our open-bough boat along with us??? Where would we dock it?? How is the river (much debris)?? Or would we just be tossed around by the wakes of larger boats??? Any info would be greatly appreciated! (Restaurant musts??) Thanks

Saugatuck, Michigan
1. Re: boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

Hi there,

Perhaps you could dock it at the Ship & Shore, or else try Coral Gables, Saugatuck Yacht Service, or Tower Marine (a short drive from Ship & Shore). Tower might have the most transient slips available. Not sure if Singapore Yacht Club has transient slips. I would ask about where you can store your trailer.

Lots of boats your size cruise up and down the river, which is no-wake all the way to 'the big lake'. We used to have a 21' sailboat and now have a 27' boat and have always loved cruising up the river to the basin that's right before the channel. Lots of boats anchor there on weekends. We beach our boat, our son hops out and runs up & down the dune, plays in the sand, and "swims" (the water isn't super clean there). We also cruise around to the south side of the channel and swim in the Big Lake...you can get close to shore there, just north of Oval Beach.

Restaurants musts: Everyday People Cafe in Douglas. Blue Moon in Douglas has great food but spotty service and a bit too much attitude for my taste (just my opinion!). Phil's in Saugatuck is good.

Ida Red's in Saugatuck for breakfast, just down the street from the Ship n Shore.

Enjoy!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
2. Re: boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

I agree with Saugatucker on restaurants. I'll add two more: Morro's for pizza, and Clearbrook CC for their Walleye.

About the boat, you'll hate this ,, it depends : ) Its all about lake conditions, as its nowake in the river as Saugatucker stated. Being there a week its most likely you'd get at least a couple of good days. Its a quick trip to Holland and South Haven is about a half hour to the south pier to pier. (I have a 20' fourwinns cuddy). It will give you a different perspective of the area.

You could just trailer it, as there is a boat launch very near your hotel. When I take mine to a new town I ask the police what the policy is for leaving it on the street, or if they have any ideas. Be careful in the little lake as its very shallow in places, kinda watch what others are doing. From town to the lake there are bouys so you shouldn't have problems and debris is not a problem. I see a lot of open boughs out there so it should be fine.

Saugatuck, Michigan
3. Re: boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

Rono brings up a very good point...some parts of Lake Kalamazoo are extremely shallow...so if you cruise over to the Red Dock (bar & restaurant, live music on Sundays, near the Keewatin) make sure you stay in the channel.

celina, oh
4. Re: boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

This is the first time I have written on a forum...this is great, especially going somewhere blind. Thanks so much. We actually will be there Sunday thru Tuesday. Not long, just a nice little get away. "Live music" at the Red Dock sounds great. What is the Keewaitin that was mentioned?? I can fiqure out wher Red Dock is on the internet.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
5. Re: boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

Keewaitin is an old passenger liner from the great lakes, came into town years ago, and never left. Its now a museum I believe that you can tour. Red Dock is fun, small little restaurant on a red dock, free tie up with a boat, simple but good.

Saugatuck, Michigan
6. Re: boating w/a 21' open-bough Searay around Saugatuck

Yes, you can tour the Keewatan. The Red Dock has a limited but good menu; they'll serve you on your boat (and you can drink your own drinks!). BUT...the kitchen is often closed by 5pm or so on Sundays when there's music. If you're in Saugatuck on Wednesday check out music at Wicks Park, basically next to Ship n Shore. Not sure who's playing but it's usually a nice event (and free). 7-9pm.

Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck