We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day trip to Saugatuck

Which Saugatuck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 34
5 day trip to Saugatuck

We went to Saugatuck for 5 days and had a wonderful time. The first 3 days, it was my husband, me, and our two teenaged sons, ages 15 & 16. We ordered pizza from BackAlley pizza, and it was delicious.

Did the Dune rides and we all really enjoyed them.

Spent two days at Oval Beach. We loved relaxing on the beach. Have to say, though, that the water had a lot of green mossy stuff washing up, and there were TONS of cigarette butts in the sand. I'm sorry, but I think that's gross!

Ate dinner at The Butler, sat outside on the deck by the marina and had a great time, good food too! I had a drink called the SPF 80. WOW! Was that strong!! We all had sandwiches (burgers or chicken) and we shared a bucket of wings. We got a seat right away, and the service was excellent.

On Friday evening, my sister, her two year old, and our oldest son (20) came to join us. We had dinner at Spectator Sports Bar & Grill. They had good food, I loved the french onion soup and their fried chicken. We were also seated right away here. At two tables of 3 and 4. The guys could watch the baseball game and I could visit with my sister and her little girl. The waitstaff was very good and freindly here.

Saturday morning we spent walking around downtown Saugatuck and shopping. Found a paking spot easily, and enjoyed all the shops. One of the boys got ice cream from Kilwin's it was wonderful, tasted like homemede ice cream. Loved the Christmas store!!

Ate lunch at Pumpernickle's and enjoyed eating on the screened in deck, while listening to live music. Great food too.

Since it rained all day on Sat. we couldn't go to the beach, so we ended up taking the kids to the mall in Holland, and shopped. Not a very big mall, but we found plenty to spend our money on.

That night we grilled out at our rental place, and then took the kids back to Holland to Craig's Carts where they rode go-carts, played miniature golf and fed the huge cat fish in the pond (well the two year old did that while the boys played miniature golf).

On the way back, we stopped at an ice cream stand on Blue Star Highway, but I can't remember the name of it. They had good ice cream, and a huge selection of choices.

Sunday morning we woke up and it was raining again, so we packed up, said our good-byes and headed for our homes. We really enjoyed this trip and the Saugatuck area. Thanks to all on this board, who gave great suggestions and advice!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
1. Re: 5 day trip to Saugatuck

Thanks Marybeth, I think it sounds like you had a good time. I'm concerned that you are the second one this week to say that the Oval water quality wasn't up to snuff. We all need to keep an eye on this.

Illinois
reviews: 34
2. Re: 5 day trip to Saugatuck

I'm wondering if it's because of the time of year we were there, or maybe the storm that blew through Wisconsin the day we got to Saugatuck.

I have been to the gulf coast a several times and encountered the same type of mossy stuff washing up on shore, and I have been there when there is none. So, who knows what the cause is. I was just hoping it was not the norm for Oval Beach.

Saugatuck, Michigan
3. Re: 5 day trip to Saugatuck

A lot of trash has been washing up at Oval Beach and other beaches along our coastline due (people are assuming) to the strong storms we've had. Apparently it's even worse north of us.

I hate to hear about the cigarette butts--gross is right!

4. Re: 5 day trip to Saugatuck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 04, 2009