We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Straits park

Which Saint Ignace hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 9
Straits park

I'm planning on staying at Straits state park later on in July, probably arriving on a Sunday. Do I need a reservation or will there generally be space for me to park my tent?

Swartz Creek
reviews: 29
1. Re: Straits park

Get there in the earlier part of the afternoon for better chances. Sundays are days where there is large turn overs in campsite availability. You can look at the Michigan DNR camping reservation website and put your dates in there and see what is available and try and get a feel for number of vacancies and for your chances of finding a spot. More then likely, something will be available somewhere, especially the upper campground... BUT no guarantees. It is a large park, but arriving late in the evening would be very risky IMO. One of our fav parks. There are other camping options too... but you didn't ask that.... Have fun.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 965
2. Re: Straits park

In July, I'd definitely check out that website Mrs. referred you to. If there are several sites available, call the park directly and ask for their advice.

We recently stayed at a state park, having reservations for the weekend, but decided to go up one day early on a late Thursday evening. I called on Wed and our site was empty. I called on Thursday around 5 PM and our site was empty according to the park person who answered the phone. We live 1.5 hours away...so up we went. And when we got there, someone was on our site, and we didn't want to set up on another site (most of the park was empty) and then have to tear everything down and move it the next day. We found the park ranger and he went to the office, and found out that these people had made a reservation for that one night, but apparently the park person working when I called didn't look that up......so we had to stay with a friend that night in their nearby cottage and arrive as originally planned.

So, it is a crapshoot to say the least and in July, well, I'd just make a reservation for peace of mind....

Edited: 5:31 pm, June 27, 2010
Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
3. Re: Straits park

UltimateGirl click the link below to go to the DNR Straits Park web site that msmith5531 speaks of, where you may make reservations (I agree with tymetraveler222 that making a reservation means you know you have a place to stay).

dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrails/Details.aspx…

Michigan
4. Re: Straits park

Our favorite camping sites are # 9, 30, 72, 73, 74, 75, & 76. I would recommend a reservation also. This is a very nice campground.

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 9
5. Re: Straits park

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm playing it safe and have made a reservation.

UG

6. Re: Straits park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 30, 2010