We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

Which Saint Ignace hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
reviews: 5
Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

We are planning a trip to Michigan in late July. We will be spending a few days in Macinaw City. Would we have enough time to see Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks in one day, or should we visit Soo Locks one day and the other two the next? We also plan on spending one day on Macinac Island. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Canton, Michigan
reviews: 25
1. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

You can most definitely visit these sites in one day starting out from Mackinaw City. But I would suggest you allow yourself the flexibility of taking a second day trip into the U.P. if you find you are spending more time at one destination so as not to shortchange yourself at the other destinations. I am very happy to hear that you will be visiting Mackinac Island. That is a definite must for visitors to Northern Michigan.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 94
2. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

It depends a lot on how much time you want to spend at each one. If those three things are all that you are doing, I would probably do them in one day.

You might go to two days and add a little more, such as a visits to the Canadian Soo, Point Iroquois Lighthouse near Bay Mills, the Pictured Rocks or Seney National Wildlife Refuge.

Louisville
3. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

Thank you GoingSomewhere. Our main reason to visit MI was going to Macinac Island. My Sis has been there and loved it. After I started reading the forums and doing some research, I found all these other neat places to visit.

Louisville
4. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

Thanks Lighthouselove. I'll check into the other places you mentioned. Do you need passports for the Canadian Soo... we don't have passports, and probably wouldn't have time to get them now.

Kansas
Destination Expert
5. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

A passport or an enhanced driver's license which proves citizenship.

Manzanita, Oregon
reviews: 26
6. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

Looking at the Department of Homeland Security website Kentucky does not appear as one of the states offering an enhanced drivers license.

dhs.gov/files/…gc_1197575704846.shtm

Be very careful leaving the US and trying to return without a passport or a Homeland Security recognized enhanced passport.

I have visited the locations mentioned and they are a joy to visit, I hope you do go and have a super time, just be certain you have the correct docs to return if you do leave the US.

Louisville
7. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

Tyr52, the info I read on the Soo Locks website, said you do not need a passport to take their cruise. I hope they are correct.

Manzanita, Oregon
reviews: 26
8. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

wanderlo - I am not familar with this cruise and respect that this is their business but a phone call to the company for clarification could not hurt. Best!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
9. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

You don't need a passport to do the cruise on the American side.

Kansas
Destination Expert
10. Re: Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks

The cruise goes through locks on both the US and Canadian side, but you don't leave the boat and a passport is not needed.

But don't worry about getting into Canada without the proper docs to return. They check, because they don't want to have to keep you.