We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahquamenon Falls

MI
reviews: 114
Tahquamenon Falls

Mom hasn't been to the falls in over 40 years, and is 87. How much walking is required to get to the falls? I'm sure the steps would be out of the question, is there a view from the top? Or, should we just find something else to do?

Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
reviews: 193
1. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

from the parking lot to the falls is an easy walk over a paved trail... there are several overlooks that don't require stair climbing, but of course, the best/closest views of the falls require stairs.

MI
reviews: 114
2. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

Do you have any idea of how far the "easy walk" is? The distance around the grocery store when you are shopping?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 120
3. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

The walk is easy, but it is a couple of thousand feet to the upper (larger) falls. The walk to the lower falls is much shorter, but they are less impressive.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
reviews: 110
4. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

For a 87 year old senior citizen, I would consider it quite a distance. Unless mom is real active and in great shape, I would reconsider. I work with the elderly every day. One other thing to consider is that the walk to the upper falls is gradually downhill towards the fall, so the return is a bit uphill. I would also keep in mind that if she does do the walk, she could need some recovery time afterwards. Falls & injuries happen all the time when the elderly get overly tired and stressed. Just my opinion, of course.

Thompsonville...
reviews: 156
5. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

I was there a week or so ago, and I do believe they had wheelchairs available at the upper falls. I saw several sitting by a little building containing educational exhibits. You could always wheel her if she got tired.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 1,114
6. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

That is great info, upnorth98! Thanks for providing it. I am so glad they are providing wheelchairs for those that need it, so they can see the beautiful falls. :)

Wisconsin
reviews: 141
7. Re: Tahquamenon Falls

I'd say it depends on the person. We did see quite a few elderly people walking to the falls, for some it was easy, others not. My Dad was playing competitive, national tennis matches well into his 80's. I've seen 60 year olds who couldn't handle a two block walk. Glad to hear there are wheelchairs so it's not even an issue.

Reply to: Tahquamenon Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted