We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Paradise

Western Illinois
reviews: 6
Lodging in Paradise

We'd like to stay in a housekeeping cabin on the bay for just 3 days in July. In fact, we already have one booked, but not sure it's the one for us -- we can't handle smoky smells, and I've read a bad review about it (AFTER booking it, of course!)

What's available that's clean and doesn't smell? :)

Thanks guys!

Kate

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
1. Re: Lodging in Paradise

Hello tchrkate,

When you say smoky smells are you referring to cigarette smoke or smoke from a camp fire on the beach or smoke from the fireplace in the cabin?

Most housekeeping cabins rent by the week and you may find it hard to rent one for just 3 days in July.

Have you called the place you booked to see if the review you read is true and also told them about how smoky smells bother you?

Western Illinois
2. Re: Lodging in Paradise

I'm talking about cigarette smell mostly -- we know there will be fires on the beach.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
3. Re: Lodging in Paradise

Did you try calling the people that are renting the cabin and tell them about the concern you have with the smell?

The only place I am familiar with in Paradise is Harmon's Birchwood Resort. I have not been to this particular resort but have talked to them on the phone and they seem to be people that care about their resort.

Western Illinois
4. Re: Lodging in Paradise

I talked to them -- sounds like it won't be a problem. I'll post a review when we come back! Looking forward to our trip to the U.P.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
reviews: 35
5. Re: Lodging in Paradise

I've been going to Paradise for almost 20 years. I've stayed at Harmon's Birchwood Resort and Curley's Motel and Cabins. Both are dated, though reasonably and relatively clean. The smell of smoke would be hit and miss at either of them, depending on the last few sets of occupants.

I don't want to issue a warning, but just want to let you know that Paradise is not any kind of a resort town with great places to stay and with great amenities. It's not Traverse City or any other great little resort town on Lake Michigan. Instead, it's a beautiful place to visit with a fantastic lake where you can wade out 400 feet and the water is still at your waist. It's a place where if you see 3 boats and 3 jet-skis in all of Whitefish Bay in one day, that's a lot. With Taquahmenon Falls a half-hour away, Paradise has always been one of our favorites, but don't be upset if your accomodations look like they haven't been updated since the 1970s. Things move at a slower pace, and sometimes they don't get done at all up there. It's still worth going.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Western Illinois
6. Re: Lodging in Paradise

We're not that picky, just allergic to cigarette smoke! We chose Paradise for the very reasons you mentioned -- it sounds quiet and beautiful, and we wanted to be by the water.

Thanks for your input!

Sheboygan Falls,WI
reviews: 1
7. Re: Lodging in Paradise

"Instead, it's a beautiful place to visit with a fantastic lake where you can wade out 400 feet and the water is still at your waist."

Taken from a prior reply.

Where is this located? Staying at Tahq.Falls July 22-26 and researching the area.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
8. Re: Lodging in Paradise

Sandy647 here is the web site for the Harmon's Birchwood Resort that was mentioned above -

exploringthenorth.com/birchwood/lodges.html

9. Re: Lodging in Paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 02, 2010