We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise hiking in late August/early September

Which Paradise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, KY
reviews: 34
Paradise hiking in late August/early September

We are thinking about driving up to Paradise for a week at the end of August/beginning of September for some hiking, but have never visited that area. Just wondering if there was a week's worth of hiking to be had & if so, if anyone had any suggestions on what to hike... Also, how are the mosquitoes that time of year? Any advise is appreciated - thanks!!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
1. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

Hello roqueit,

If you are really into hiking the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is the place to go. It is in the West side of the Upper Peninsula. It has some of the finest hiking in the World.

http://www.porcupinemountains.com/

Here is a web site that shows trails in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Paradise is in Luce County. Porcupine Mountains is in Ontonagon County.

http://www.uptrails.org/

Mosquitoes are not to bad now but it also depends on where you are. The bad time for mosquitoes is gone for this year.

Louisville, KY
2. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

Thanks so much for the info! Would there be a better town to base ourselves in for access to good hiking, or would Paradise suffice? We may also be kayaking. Thanks again!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
3. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

Were there any trails that caught your eye in the Upper Peninsula after you looked at the UP trails web site or is Paradise the main place you want to hike? Knowing the area you would like to be around would help to pick a main place to stay at.

How many days do you figure you will have in the Upper Peninsula?

Louisville, KY
4. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

We will have a week to explore, I know I would like to go to Tahquamenon State Park, & that is how I found Paradise, but we don't have any set plans at this time. The Ontonagon County section of the UP website looked like it had a lot of hiking, as well, so may work our way over there...just really looking for any ideas at this point, so I really appreciate the awesome trail website!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
5. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

First I want to complement you on getting the spelling right for certain areas you refer to.

I don't know if this is something you are thinking of or not but you could stay in a cabin on a lake in Curtis, which is near Tahquamenon Falls and Seney Wildlife Refuge and use that as a main base for a few days and then get a place around Lake Gogebic to be near the Porcupine Mountains.

This may work if you can find a place that will rent for a few days rather then a week rental. Since you will be here when tourism is slowing down, it maybe possible.

Just for information - the distance between Paradise and the Porcupine Mountains is 270 miles.

Here are some Kayaking sites for the Upper Peninsula

hunts-upguide.com/canoeing___kayaking.html

michigan.org/Things-to-Do/…Default.aspx

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 28
6. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

I have to agree that the Porcupine Mountains are spectacular. I was a teen when we visited. I have been blessed to visit many places around the world and still the view of Lake of the Clouds captures my memory as one of the most beautiful on earth. If you have the time and are willing to drive (it's quite a drive from Louisville), it is well worth it. Moms

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 28
7. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

P.S. Check out these pictures. Stunning...

fishweb.com/maps/…index.html

Louisville, KY
8. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

After looking into the hiking a bit more, we have decided to stay closer to the Porcupine Mountains (looking around Lake Gogebic, thanks for the suggestion, Yooper!), & try to make it over to the Eastern side if we have time. The pictures of the 'Porkies' look incredible & we are excited to get out & do some hiking! Thanks for your help, Yooper & Moms!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
9. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

roqueit,

Did you notice that in the Porcupine Mountains park itself, they have cabins you can stay at?

coppercountry.com/images/pages/StatePks/MapC…

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
10. Re: Paradise hiking in late August/early September

I just wanted to add one more thing about Lake Gogebic

A few summers ago I stayed at a resort that was on Lake Gogebic over a long weekend. When I was driving around I noticed that about half of the resorts were closed. It surprised me. It was when I went to a bar/restaurant at the North end of the lake that I figured out what was going on. Inside the bar/restaurant were maps of snowmobile trails, pictures of snowmobiles from beer manufactures. I asked around and people said that Lake Gogebic is a very busy place in the winter. It is like a central location for snowmobiles trails. (around here we call snowmobiles - snowsleds) So if you notice it being a bit quiet in that area, you will know why. At least that is how it was a few years ago.

Did you also notice that the Eastern and Central time zone run right through the middle of the lake.