We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish House in Paradise

Boston
reviews: 10
Fish House in Paradise

Hi!

Thanks to all of you who have been so helpful on these Michigan boards. My trip is coming up and I have one food-related question...

A friend of mine recommended we stop at the fish place in Paradise. Browns? Is it called the fish house?

What's it like? Is the food good? What about atmosphere? Is it a clam shack/flip flops kind of place or is it a real restaurant with cloth napkins and waitresses? Or someplace in between?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
reviews: 30
1. Re: Fish House in Paradise

BROWN FISH HOUSE

(906) 492-3901

It's easy to miss Brown's because it's on the west edge of town. It's both a restaurant and a fish market. It's only open when owner Buddy Brown, a commercial fisherman, has fresh fish. The interior is pleasant, with nifty paintings of local fishing boats. Whitefish comes fried (3 pieces for about $8.99 fried, $10.99 broiled) with fries or baked potato, cole slaw & pickle. The smoked whitefish chowder (cup $4, bowl $5) is delicious. A whitefish sandwich with fries and slaw is $5.95. Fish is maple smoked in back, and smoked fish is used for a dip that would make fine picnic fare. Checks OK.

On M-123 1/4 mile west of the light. Open from some time in May thru October. Fri & Sat only ‘til June 15. Then open Mon-Sat, noon to 8. Call to confirm hours. Handicap accessible. Family friendly. No alcohol.

Boston
2. Re: Fish House in Paradise

You're the best! Thanks for the quick response. It sounds great, just my speed! :-)

Boston
3. Re: Fish House in Paradise

Just a quick thank you to everyone who offered advice. I just got back from my trip and what a GREAT TIME it was! Many many thanks. And...the lighthouse at Whitefish Point and the Shipwreck Museum was just so interesting and beautiful and the beach there was fantastic and...the whole trip was great. We met the NICEST people...especially the couple who runs the Snowflake Ice Cream stand and...just everyone in town was so pleasant. Thanks much!!!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
4. Re: Fish House in Paradise

Hello CoCoSandy, Nice to hear you had such a wonderful time. Could you tell us what it was like driving past the fire on Hwy 123. Thanks

Boston
5. Re: Fish House in Paradise

I heard about the fire and smelled it but didn't see it. When I got to where I was going (Paradise), people were talking about it but I didn't see it at all. I guess the peat was on fire and that's why it was so hard for the firefighters to deal with?

Meanwhile, I never got to the fish house but went to my friend's favorite: the Yukon. Who knew buffalo burgers would be good? like a place that doesn't give you a glass with a bottle of beer. That's real people... :-)

Michigan
reviews: 4
6. Re: Fish House in Paradise

I have to agree with CoCoSandy that everything this past weekend in Paradise and Whitefish Point was great! I have posted an Update on Newberry - 123 and 407 - in a seperate post.

CoCoSandy, did you go to the Annual Wild Blueberry Festival while in Paradise? We stopped in Saturday afternoon for a bit and the vendors seemed to be doing very well with their crafts and items for sale. I must say though that I was a little disappointed that they didn't have more Blueberry goodies for sale. We saw a lot of jams and syrups but not much else! Oh well. . .maybe next year!

NaplesFla

Boston
7. Re: Fish House in Paradise

I heard somethign about a drought causing a less than fantastic blueberry season.

I fell in love with that area though. It was wonderful!

Gurnee IL
reviews: 2
8. Re: Fish House in Paradise

I'm new to the "board" here, but no stranger to Brown's or Paradise. Food is excellent...it's a little shabby around the edges but service is generally friendly. Sometimes the place is closed unexpectedly, as a result of either not catching any fish that day, too much wind to go out, etc. etc. This can be frustrating on the one hand, after driving 30-40 miles to get there, but is at once comforting in that we know they're not pulling that whitefish out of a freezer like other places might. Onion rings are first class!

Good that you found the Yukon...an almost iconic part of Newberry. You chose wisely with the Buffalo burger!

We spent the whole of August in the area, in a tent site along the river, tucked back from the road a few miles. Did venture into Newberry past the 18,000+ acre Sleeper Lake fire. The impact viewed from the road is fairly minimal--- some back burning visible for a bit, but this was even beginning to "green up" again by the first of September. There were a few smaller fires during August in the State Park, north of the Falls that made it smoky a bit, and a couple near Hulbert and other areas, but these were contained rather quickly and all was well again.

The Wild Blueberry Festival was another event we attended. On the day we were there, blustery cold winds were buffeting the vendor's tents, and many were closing early, but I know the weather cooperated a bit more for the next couple of days. Wild blueberries were virtually non-existent, but the blueberry buckle and blueberry pie were flowing and were delicious.

PARADISE IN GENERAL-- I have been visiting the area for about 45 years and have seen ups and downs. The reviews posted here for Curley's motel are not surprising, nor does it surprise me that the owners of the one gas station in town have a "family emergency" and can't have anyone fill propane tanks, coincidentally on Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekends when people might really need it. I have made numerous bargains with myself, pulling out of my camp, "I'm sure I could find SOMETHING to cook at the IGA", only to drive the 20 miles to Paradise, and see the same literally rotten melons and corn in the produce cooler that were there 3 days prior when I stopped for a loaf of bread. The only hope then, is to get in the car (as in the case of a propane fill-up) and drive an hour back to Newberry, where there is at least some level of choice.

There are some terrific merchants in Paradise-- Brown's, as I said, seem very friendly. Some of the gift shop owners are pleasant, and certainly the woman who owns the quilt shop goes out of her way to present a welcoming image. The folks at the Yukon hustle the food out, and we have enjoyed BOTH the ice cream places, the one west of town, and the other attached to the red flannel saloon, as we have the service (if not the food) at the Little Falls Restaurant. If you enjoy soap operas on the TV during the mid-day, go into the IGA to catch up, but PLEASE don't interrupt the cashier by waiting in line!

But there has seemed to be a classic "love-hate" relationship between many Paradise merchants and what they perceive as their enemy, the tourist. I've been in retail in a small town, and can understand this. There is often a perception by the shopper he/she has to explain to this unsophisticated rube how the 21st century world works-- that plastic cards can access money, that there is this "thing" called the internet, and that there are places in the world with hot and cold running water and incandescent light bulbs. Meanwhile, the shop owner lives quietly and simply in this beautiful area, probably with a much lower cost of living than the big-city home that the tourist is trying to forget about, (but keeps bringing up as a comparison), and I suppose the merchant sees us "trolls" and our "backwards' ways of thinking as a frustration.

Having said that, please note that I am an EX shop owner. I had the good sense to get out of a line of work that featured this dynamic. More Paradise shop keepers should consider retirement, where they could spend their time avoiding people and getting away with it instead of putting an "Open" sign out and hoping (secretly) that people would just toss money in the door without any further interaction.

PlanetX
reviews: 5
9. Re: Fish House in Paradise

I was in Paradise recently and this last review made me chuckle!! Thanks for the laugh!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
reviews: 30
10. Re: Fish House in Paradise

The last two paragraphs really made me chuckle...especially about the "lower cost of living" here in Northern Michigan...try again buddy...Cost to live here around Petoskey is easily 30% MORE than most any urban area in Michigan.

Overall a good post, there are some opinions in there though, that I think are accurate only in a few isolated cases. If you're having that much trouble with local merchants, perhaps you're choosing the wrong stores/destination.