We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing Choices in August

Boston
reviews: 10
Clothing Choices in August

I'm wondering what to pack for a mid-August trip to Paradise. I'm hoping to do some hiking and camping. Are the bugs bad that time of year? Does it get chilly even in August? What would you pack?

Thanks!!!

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Clothing Choices in August

Hey CoCo---just responded to your post on stops from Detroit to the Soo...

So I will weigh in here, too.

It can get chilly in August in Michigan especially near the big lake...I would prepare to have a fleece with you.

Bugs are worst usually in June (black flies & ticks). That being said I would plan to find mosquitioes anywhere in Michigan from late May to mid September.

If you are really going to Paradise and like to read I recommend (make that highly recommend) the Steve Hamilton novels beginning with "A Cold Day in Paradise"

He really gets the Eastern U.P. flavor.

Have a great time. I think you will understand why those of us who live here still call the U.P. home. :-)

Boston
reviews: 10
2. Re: Clothing Choices in August

Thank you 24fan!!!! I really appreciate the clothing (and reading) suggestions! CoCo

3. Re: Clothing Choices in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Paradise