We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

Which Leon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

I am an older male traveler , 60, going to NIc for first time on Feb 24. I am scouting it out as a possible retirement option, I have been every other country in Central America. I am planning on going to Leon area & North my first time. I have accommodations planned for first couple days. Is there decent swimming beaches nearby, Las Penitas? or others?. Any other comments or advice for area much appreciated, Brian from Calgary

5 replies to this topic
Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 12
1. Re: Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

Greetings Brian from Calgary:

The beaches in Poneloya and Las Peñitas are generally speaking pretty wide open to swells and currents. There is one area called Playa Roca (where there is a hostel by the same name) that is somewhat protected behind a natural rock jetty. It is probably the most popular swimming area around.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde

Cincinnati, OH
reviews: 31
2. Re: Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

While you have to be careful, Las Penitas does not deserve the bad rap it gets for rough swimming in my opinion. When the tide is going out it can be great, and our 7-year old swims in it (with his life vest to be safe). Also you can swim in the giant tidal pools leading into the estuary.

I would recommend a few days in LP or Poneloya and then a few near Chinandega (Jiquillo?) to try out the different ones.

Calgary
3. Re: Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

Dear Cincy & Mike , Thanks for thoughts, I think I will be ok In LP, I have swam in surf quite a lot (and got a beating up a few times), I think I will give it a try & check it out a bit, maybe also look for some fishing.Actually, I am just curious about NIC & the Leon area seemed pretty good, Thanks again, brian

New Orleans...
reviews: 78
4. Re: Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

So, I'm guessing that snorkeling off shore is out of the question, then, if swells and riptides are present?

San Francisco...
reviews: 88
5. Re: Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?

The waves at Las Penitas break right on the beach. Every time I've been to Las Penitas and tried to go out in the water I'd get beat up by waves immediately and end up with a swimsuit full of sand. Even the beach at Las Rocas is not the greatest for swimming.

Edited: 11:41 pm, March 17, 2014
Reply to: Safe Swimming near Leon? Other area advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted