We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 103
Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

What a day. I tried to stay at Petexbatún Wildlife Reserve after 4 busses and a canoe trip only to arrive at the one hotel to be told they had no food. So back I went by canoe through this glorious area, listening to the howlers bid me farewell, and onto the back of a motorbike as I was whisked to Sayaxché to a clean and secure hotel.

Having paid a total of $5 for my previous night’s hotel with little rocks for a floor with a local family, I was a bit stunned at the 125Q price tag but it was a fair price for a massive, clean room with a fan, hot water and a television. It had a nice tile floor, good fixtures, the beds are great quality and the property secure.

It was quiet and, the next morning when I needed to take the “ferry-canoe” for 2Q across the Rio Passion for my bus to Santa Elena, it was about 100 steps away. I didn’t see any other hotels around and the Moon Guide recommendation for Sayaxcé, Hotel Guayacán, is no longer in operation. I saw no other hotels nearby.

6 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
1. Re: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

You must be exhausted! Sorry to read again about the long slogs to get to places that couldn't accommodate your needs. I've no desire to spend that much time on the road with only a night or 2 in each spot - just not my cup of tea. I research the tar out of my itinerary and pretty much know I am going to love each spot enough to spend more time there. Every year I try to add at least 1 new stop to my itinerary but spend most of my time on Atitlán. Thanks for posting!

Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

Thanks for all your feedback. I find it very useful and I'm sure other potential travellers to guatemala will find it very useful too. How long would you say it takes to get to Santa Elena/Flores from Sayaxche.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 103
3. Re: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

Hopefulist - I am fortunate to be in Guatemala for two months. I knew it would be a challenge to move around these parts and consider it part of the adventure. The guidebook told me to head straight to Saynaxche and hire a guide but I ignored it and, unlike other successes ignoring the book, was not able to do it independantly this time. I still had an amazing day and many kind locals helped me out and it aided my Spansh.

Hotel del Rio - I was not checking my watch carefully but I think that with the little stops and the tuk tuk over the Flores it may have been 1.5 - 2 hours. In any case, it was an extremely short trip by collectivo standards and your location just stepsaway from the Rio Passion to an awaiting collectivo to Santa Elena makes it a natural stop for anyone travelling through Saynaxche on to Peten. Thanks again!

Middletown...
4. Re: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

an hour and twenty minutes... paved road all the way through. From Sayaxche you must cross the the Passion River which it will cost you just a few cents (Q2.50), all buses (vans) will be waiting for you on the other riverbank. They leave every so many minutes apart and make frequent stops along the way. Usually are fifteen passenger vans than carry as many passengers as they can squeeze. It is an experience!

Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

Hey there....thanks for your feedback. That's very useful when us regular contributors have to advice other travellers that don't take the time to use the search tool.

Middletown...
6. Re: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché

I have stayed at Hotel del Rio in Sayaxche numerous times and planning on going back in a few months!

Reply to: Hotel del Rio – Sayaxché
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayaxche