We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possisble?

Which Tochigi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nonthaburi, Thailand
reviews: 6
Is it possisble?

I'm going to see wisteria at The Ashikaga Garden in Tochigi, the question is would I be able to stay in Nikko? Is it too far, I will charter the minibus.

4 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 103
1. Re: Is it possisble?

No need to charter a minibus. Yes, it's possible if you are staying in Nikko or Kinugawa Onsen for a night and doing the Nikko/Chuzenji area in two days.

JR Ryomo Line connects Tochigi (City) station on Tobu Nikko Line and Ashikaga City.

From Tobu Asakusa station (Matsuya Department store), take the Tobu Ltd Exp Ryomo to Ashikaga-shi.

Timetable (Asakusa 浅草 Ashikaga-shi 足利市: first train 07:00, arrives 08:18). …tobu.co.jp/pdf/timetable/ryomo_kudari.pdf

I don't know exactly where you are going to in Ashikaga for wisteria, but perhaps to Ashikaga Flower Park? It's near Tomita Station on JR Ryomo Line.

http://www.ashikaga.co.jp/en/index.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3850.html

I suggest visiting the two places in Ashikaga City first (if you can find time):

1) Ashikaga School (足利学校 very old school founded before Muromachi Period in 14th century [noted by Francisco Xavier in 16th], now reproduced partly):

city.ashikaga.tochigi.jp/site/ashikagagakko/

2) Bannaji Temple (鑁阿寺) next to it was built on home premise of the Ashikaga Clan in 12th century (the Shogun family of the Muromachi Shogunate). Also worth a visit.

After the visit, you might take the JR train from JR Ashikaga station (not the Tobu Ashikaga-shi station across the river about 350m away) one stop to Tomita.

Apart from Ashikaga Flower Park, Kurita Museum might be also very worth visiting (largest museum for Imari and Nabeshima pottery, not far away from Flower Park):

http://www.kurita.or.jp/imari/index.htm

Just take note, as JR Ryomo Line has a sparse schedule (once or twice in an hour).

Here are departures from JR Ashikaga station towards Tomita and Oyama.

jreast-timetable.jp/1212/…0052011.html

Tomita Station departures towards Tochigi (for Tobu Nikko Line).

jreast-timetable.jp/1212/…1064010.html

There are Tobu Ltd Exp Kinu (きぬ)and Kegon (けごん)every hour for Nikko from Tochigi station.

railway.tobu.co.jp/timetable/index.html…

Kegon trains goes directly to Tobu Nikko (日光 or 日), whereas Kinu offers direct access to Kinugawa Onsen (鬼怒川温泉 or 温). Easy connection is always provided for Kinu passengers who wish to go to Tobu Nikko instead at Shimoimaichi (下今市) junction.

So the trickiest part is JR Ryomo Line schedule, and how to balance the visit to Ashikaga. Wisteria is from Mid April to May.

Edited: 12:10 pm, November 23, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
2. Re: Is it possisble?

It takes less than 2 hours from Tobu Nikko station to Ashikaga station. So it's possible.

Nonthaburi, Thailand
reviews: 6
3. Re: Is it possisble?

Thanks a lot, but we are in the group of seven adults, so minibus might be more convenient. Any accommodation suggested in Tochigi, since theer]re quite many places to visit.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 103
4. Re: Is it possisble?

Why would a minibus be convenient is a puzzle to me (economically it won't be cheaper; hiring a car and a driver in Japan is expensive). If you check the above itinerary with timetables and maps, you'll understand that you don't need to stay in Ashikaga or Tochigi city at all- you only have to take a half day and head off to Nikko/Kinugawa Onsen.

Reply to: Is it possisble?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tochigi
Recent Conversations