We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galton Gate to open to all

Gaborone, Botswana
reviews: 50
Galton Gate to open to all

Hi all,

I've just read in this month's "Getaway" (A SA travel mag) that from December, people will be able to access Etosha via Galton Gate even if you are not staying at Dolomite. There will also be "Comfort Stops" en route to Okaukeujo.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
1. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

I hope not. I mean it would be convenient and everything, but part of the charm of that side of the park is that you don't have many people there at all. If they open that gate to everyone then you will have people using it as a cut through.

personally I think it will cause problems because people won't judge correctly how long it is actually going to take to get from Galton Gate to Okaukuejo...so you will probably find problems with people not being allowed in because they won't get all the way across in time.... or worse people being allowed in and then having to speed.

I suppose it is no different than people entering at Namutoni that have to get to Okaukuejo.... but I was hoping they would leave it as it was.

Blyth, United...
2. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

I will be travelling from Grootberg Lodge to Okaukuejo early June 14.Would I be able to take this route, obeying all the rules,and be at the rest camp in good time?

Edited: 12:16 pm, November 20, 2013
Manchester, United...
reviews: 108
3. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

yes you would be fine. Mind I hope the report is wrong for the reasons stated.

Edited: 2:03 pm, November 20, 2013
Leicester, United...
reviews: 66
4. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

Much as I regret the loss of my privilege of entering through Galton gate and enjoying the less touristy Western Etosha by virtue of staying at Dolomite but a little voice in my head is saying "Why shouldn't sensible tourists be allowed to take advantage of the gate and travel from Damaraland to Okaukuejo ?"

I wonder whether they can have some arrangements similar to Skeleton coast park gates e.g. not allowed to enter after 12 pm and/or arranging special permits for travelling from Okaukuejo side. Some idiots would get into trouble but hopefully people would get used to the idea.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 60
5. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

Will certainly diminish some of the attraction of dolomite camp.

Somerset West...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

Yes Galton is under construction, due to open in December. Official ceremony june 2014. The campsite just opposite the gate ( Roadside concession) is operational and some upgrade and maintenance early december. First phase of new lodge to open june 2014

Edited: 2:07 pm, November 21, 2013
Somerset West...
7. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

Yes Galton is under construction, due to open in December. Official ceremony june 2014. The campsite just opposite the gate is operational and some upgrade and maintenance early december. First phase of new lodge to open june 2014

Leicester, United...
reviews: 66
8. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

That is an interesting development indeed.

I went back and read all the blogs again. I couldn't see any mention of a campsite at Galton gate but I trust skimkat on this. I guess you have local knowledge.

The new camp is being built at Olifantsrus waterhole which could act as a stopover between Galton gate and Okaukuejo, although it is still a long drive from there.

I was hoping most of the traffic would just drive through but with accommodation options it is bound to get a bit more crowded.

Link to gatway blog~:

…getaway.co.za/travel-news/…

I'm surprised that I came to know this only recently. Now that I have searched for this it appears to be in pipeline for many months with major changes to the whole tourism infrastructure of Namibia.

Edited: 4:16 pm, November 21, 2013
Somerset West...
9. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

The campsite is in the Roadside concesssion west of the C35, just outside ENP. Use to be a communal run camp known as Hobatere. Name will change to Roadside. Www.facebook.com/travellingtortoise

Swakopmund, Namibia
10. Re: Galton Gate to open to all

I think it will be great if they can open the Galton Gate to all. The park is so big that it will not make much difference to tourists. In fact, the animals will be come accustomed to vehicles and game viewing will improve. In the past, when we managed to obtain an permit to drive through, it was just that ... a drive through as the animals were so skittish that we did not see anything anyway. This often meant people drove a bit too fast.

In my opinion, the drive from the gate to Okaukuejo should be a full day's game drive and not just a drive to "get through the western area".

I welcome the new developments.

Regarding the "new" campsite. I do hope that they refurbish and manage the campsite. When Hobatere was operational, this campsite was fine until it was handed over to the local community. The nothing happened. I wanted to camp there a few times but just drove in and out again. However, it is a lovely spot!

Danie Steyn - Namibia, Tours & Safaris

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park