We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between UK and Etosha

Falmouth, United...
Travel between UK and Etosha

What's the easiest way to get from the UK to Etosha? I'm based in cornwall but am willing and able to connect at london, bristol etc.

Cheers!

Darragh

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

Check if there are still flights from Frankfurt to Windhoek.

Otherwise, most flights from UK go from Heathrow via Johannesburg, the main hub for southern Africa.

Plenty of overnight flights from Heathrow (BA, Virgin, SAA), or daytime flights from Amsterdam.

Then hire a car and drive 5 hours from WDH to Etisha. Or get a small plane. Depends on budget.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 212
2. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

If you can get to Frankfurt for the Air Namibia flight this is the easiest. Other wise it is usually via the hell hole of Heathrow. If you don't mind another 'stop' then consider Bristol to AMS with KLM and then Joburg.

AirNamibia are due some new planes this year so that would be my preferred route and the one I used last year.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
3. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

You will generally find it works out a lot cheaper if you fly via Joburg as there is more competition with airlines for those routes, so you can get better fares.

Air Namibia tend to be a bit on the pricey side, although it is convenient particularly if you are coming from Germany in anycase.

It is arguable whether it is easier to go one stop via Frankfurt, or one stop via Joburg.

If you are travelling on an EU passport and don't have the bother of worrying about transit visa's and things like that for South Africa then I think it is easier to fly via Joburg. You have more options for flights that way.

Although Air Namibia have improved recently with their reliabililty they did have a pretty shocking stretch a while ago where flights were seriously delayed and schedules kept being changed. It caused a lot of hassle for travellers and I am still rather hesitant to recommend.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
4. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

That may well apply to those for whom LHR is convenient but not so much to the British Heartlands away from the Home counties. I fly MAN-FRA with Lufty and have only the one stop. Rather do it in FRA than JNB anyday where again there would be the same change of plane for WDH. I imagine the OP would be in much the same boat(plane). Worth the extra ££s to fly SW and avoid LHR and JNB and BA ain't cheap any more.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
5. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

You've outed me as an 'ex Home Counties pat' lol!

Gaborone, Botswana
reviews: 50
6. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

A (cheaper[?]) alternative is Kenya Airways - London Nairobi Gaborone. Problem may be Gaborone to Windhoek though.

Isle of Man, United...
7. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

Pause for thought there Kenneth but the object, I find, is to get there with the least landings/changes. Less landings, less things to go amiss. If leaving from London why add in NBO and Gaborone to the mix?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
8. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

Your still going to have to go via Joburg that way, as you won't get a direct flight from Gabs to Windhoek...so it's just making it a loooong day.

Gaborone, Botswana
reviews: 50
9. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

Gemma - I thought Air Namibia had a flight from Gabs to Whk. Although I've a feeling it goes via Maun.

I was trying to avoid Jo'burg as apparently it is one of the most expensive airports in the world with its taxes and fees.

Mfuwe - True. I just wondered if the savings (if any) would outweigh all the transfers.

Edited: 8:48 am, November 14, 2013
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
10. Re: Travel between UK and Etosha

As far as I am aware Air Namibia are only flying the Maun route now. I think they used to fly Gabs too if my memory serves me correct.

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park