We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

Cape Town Central...
Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

Is the set up at Etosha any different to South Africa? i.e. in SA, the private lodges and camps are in reserves that might or might not be adjacent to Kruger NP and the reserves mostly have the big 5. Camps might or might not be fenced.

I'm wanting to spend a night at a moderately priced independent lodge/camp, but don't want to simply stay outside the park and then have to drive in, because I'm already staying 3 nights at Halali. Please help!

Thanks

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
1. Re: Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

Hi Lesley.

It will depend on where you are staying, some do and some don't.

A good moderately priced Lodge is Onguma Bush Camp which is just outside the Von Lindequist Gate on the eastern side of the park. That is a great lodge and you can do guided activities on the Onguma Reserve. I did a fabulous sunset drive there in February and saw a lot of game including lion and an aardwolf! Their interpretative bush walks are also excellent.

Also on the Onguma Reserve is Etosha Aoba Lodge which is also great value.

Ongava Reserve outside Anderssons gate is also good, but I wouldn't class the accommodations as moderately priced, and I much prefer the Onguma reserve.

At Mushara for instance you will need to go into Etosha for game drives.

Hope that helps a bit

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Windhoek, Windhoek...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

I agree with Gemma.

There are only 3 Private game reserves bordering the Etosha National Park.

Onguma is the only one on the Eastern Side, with Onguma Bush Camp and Etosha Aoba being the Tourist Class lodges.

At the Anderssons gate you have Ongava Game Reserve, with a variety of luxury lodges, as well as Epacha Game Reserve,

On Epacha there is the Eagle Tented Lodge which is Tourist class, but even though the park borders onto Etosha, it is about 1 hour drive to the entrance of the Park.

Neither of these 3 reserves have the big 5. There are no buffalo in Etosha, And in these reserves are no elephant.

There are many moderately priced lodges around the park, but as Etosha is so close by, they don't do their own game drives. You could easily stay at a variety of lodges that are withing 20 minutes drive from the Park.

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
3. Re: Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

We love Onguma Bush Lodge too but I have to confess that we have never done a drive on the property having driven ourselves into Etosha each day. Gemma's experience will change that on our next visit! I find the lodge very good value for money and the staff are wonderful as is the food!

Cape Town Central...
4. Re: Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

Thanks. I've looked at both and Etosha Aoba appeals more at face value - seemingly smaller and not such a punt on family. To me family means noise :) And Im not good at noise - especially in the bush! am I wrong here?

If its a toss up between staying next to Etosha for a night and then zooming through to windhoek, or breaking trip in the Central Highlands, what would advice be?

Many thanks

Lesley

Windhoek, Windhoek...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

If you have the time it is a great plan to break up the drive to windhoek by staying an night in the Otjiwarongo Area.

Waterberg, one of the National Parks has some small guestfarms and lodges in the area, which you can use as a base to explore Waterberg or visit the Cheetah Conservation Fund.

Okonjima is home to the Africat foundation, and they are about an hours drive south of Otjiwarongo.

If you haven't seen enough game in Etosha yet :) you can visit Erindi Game Reserve, where you can do good game drives in a private game reserve, and they have attractive SADC rates as well. Their main area overlooks a floodlit waterhole with great opportunity to spot game.

6. Re: Is there game at the private lodges and camps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park