We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha early January

Dunedin, New Zealand
reviews: 3
Etosha early January

We will be in Etosha in early January for three nights. I realise it's not the best time of year for game viewing, but does anyone know if there are any parts of the park that we should go to at this time of year (and if there are any we should avoid).

We we're thinking of having three nights at Okakeujo or perhaps two in Okakauejo and one in Halali. I've seen some bad reports on Halali (waterhole light not working, burnt vegetation, and no animals seen at waterhole for two days), and other good reports..

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Etosha early January

I think it will be near-impossible to give you any useful information so far ahead.

Who knows what the conditions will be like in January. Your experience will depend on a lot of factors like rainfall, etc, and your best bet would be to ask locally when you arrive. With 3 days, you will have time to cover most of the ground yourself, and so will be in a better position that the rest of us to decide where to go.

Warwickshire
reviews: 181
2. Re: Etosha early January

We were there late Jan and had a great time, saw lots of wildlife (I understand you would see more at other times of the year).

As Peter says check when you arrive there is no way of knowing where the wildlife will be from one day to the next. I think that the camps inside the park have books where people record what they have seen where so check those before you head out perhaps.

Or do what we did which was drive around explore roads and waterholes we had not seen and took our time at each of them as you never knew what was going to turn up.

I know some people are huge fans of the camps inside the park, we stayed outside for 3 nights at Mushara Outpost and 1 night at Okakauejo. We were not fans of Okakauejo personally. The waterhole was dead in terms of wildlife mainly as the rains had started a bit earlier so they had no reason to travel to that one. Which was a shame as that was the reason we stayed there. It was just not our kind of place we prefer smaller camps which are a bit more personal. Having said that if we went at the right time of year we may try again just for the famed waterhole.

Stuttgart, Germany
3. Re: Etosha early January

Hi,

I had been in Etosha in early Jan a couple of years back. You are right about the game viewing as once the rains start its not easy to spot the big 5. Waterholes, which is the best spot to see animals in dry season, is of no use in rainy season. But the postive thing about jan is that it is also the breeding season, so you will spot a lot of lil ones - springbok, zebra, wilderbeest, giraffes etc. The best thing you could do is to drive around and hope for the best.

We camped inside the park. Since it was offseason, there was no need to book in advance. Just show up in one of the camps and ask for a camping place. Also, staying inside the park will help you to start early and stay longer in the evening before the gates close. Also to hang around in the water holes at night and test your luck. Which camp you stay is not an issue as you will hardly spot any animals in the waterholes near to the camp in rainy season.

4. Re: Etosha early January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park