We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

Finland
reviews: 2
Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

Me and my partner are doing a self-drive in Namibia in July / August 09. Unfortunately we were too late to get any accommodation from Okaukuejo, where we originally planned to stay for five nights. We've now booked accommodation from Andersson's Camp instead and extra nights in Halali. However, we would really like to stay in Okaukuejo because of the good photographic opportunities.

If you have booked a camping site in Okaukuejo between 2.-8.8.09 and want to share it with us, please let me know as soon as possible. Each campsite can accommodate up to 8 people.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
reviews: 38
1. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

Hi

Apart from the fact that the waterhole is in the middle of the camp at Okaukuejo, I've always ended up with much nicer photos/viewings from the landscapes and waterholes around Halai and north of Namutoni, so don't panic.

PS: You might have better luck posting on Thorntree re the campsite share.

Finland
2. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

I already have a similar post in Thorntree :) No luck yet.

We are kind of semi-professional photographers, so the photography issue is very important for us. At Halali the waterhole is downhill from the viewing point, which means it's not very good for photography, even though there might be many animals. Because evenings and mornings are the best time to both see animals and to photograph them in good light, we'd really like to spend a few nights in Okaukuejo.

From what I've heard, Halali is as camp nicer than Okaukuejo, because it isn't that crowded with people. I think we'd be happy to stay there and at Namutoni, if we could satisfy with just seeing animals. Things tend to get harder when you need to take photographs, that are "really" good :)

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
3. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

Have you considered taking a Bungalow at Okaukuejo?

Either way I would not worry about 'the' waterhole. It is overrated in my opinion and 'popular' just because so many folk find it convenient. There are plenty other holes around outside the camp. Nebrownii and the aptly named Olifantsbad are my favourites in that part of the Park. You will get all the pictures you want and more besides.

Finland
4. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

I don't think it's possible to wait for the sun to come down at any waterhole outside the restcamps, because the gates are closed earlier. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I've read some ratings about the park waterholes from professional photographers and they all say, Okaukuejo's waterhole is among the best.

We would have accepted any accommodation in Okaukuejo, but all was fully booked.

Isle of Man, United...
5. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

"<Okaukuejo's waterhole is among the best.>"

Keyword "Among". Camp gates usually open 30 mins before sun up so get out there and catch it.

I am not a pro photographer but I do get reasonable results. Avoid the harshest light of Noon and get the subject down sun.

I find the best time for Elephants and others that must drink is around 14.00-16.00 as the heat goes out of the day and they leave the shade to come to the waterholes such as those I mentioned.

I find the noise, Cigarette smoke, Beer and wine drinking and uninformed chatter around Okaukuejo not very conducive to getting good pictures.

So don't lose any sleep if you cannot stay a night there. No pun intended.

Finland
6. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

Among the best, but the best (for photography) of the restcamp waterholes. I agree, that smoking, drinking and too loud tourists in their funny safari clothes are very annoying, but I can live with them for a few nights, if the animals are still around. I haven't yet heard anyone saying, that animals avoid Okaukuejo waterhole because of the noisy people. I suppose they are too thirsty and accustomed. Or who knows, perhaps they just find watching the red baboons very amusing...

"I am not a pro photographer --"

Keyword "not". I intend to photograph in the harshest light and use backlight as well. Just need to know what you're doing. Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

Isle of Man, United...
7. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

Oh, they may come down to the Waterhole alright. They have to. Usually after you have had dinner around 21.00 or so. Just as the party animals are kicking off! You will only have the shadows of the floodlights and the insects to worry about.

I do know what I am doing I just don't do it for a living!

8. Re: Anyone willing to share their campsite in Okaukuejo in Aug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park