We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

Which Mears hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 1
Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

Drive a Jeep or take the tour???? Big $$$$ difference. Any thoughts for first timers to MI? Is the Jeep tricky to navagate if never done before? Two Adults w/12 & 10 year old. Will be there in one week, first week of June.

6 replies to this topic
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 995
1. Re: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

Assuming you know how to drive a stick shift? Assuming they have only stick shifts?? LOL. I know it is very expensive to rent the Jeeps. I'd save the bucks and just do the tour. But if your heart is really leaning that way, go for it. Practice a little and you should do fine. IT is a lot of fun having your own Jeep to do the dunes with. Have fun!

Ohio
reviews: 1
2. Re: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

My husband would be the driver, yes he can drive stick shift on roads. How well on sand would be the question. LOL His truck is 4 wheel drive. Anyone know if they let personal vehicals on the dunes? It sounded to me like you had to have special stickers, permits and even special tires?

Bay City, Michigan
reviews: 34
3. Re: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

I haven't driven on the dunes myself, but my brother did a couple of years ago and I learned a few things about it. We took the easy way and rode the Mac Woods Dune Ride... it is fun and worth it. I remember going on the dune rides about 40 years ago.

As I can't say I know the ins & outs of driving on the dunes yourself, you might be best to look at the following site from the state park:

michigan.gov/dnr/…00.html

This is a very comprehensive set of rules & guidelines to driving on the dunes. All vehicles must have an ORV registration and a rectangular orange warning flag 10' in height. You'd also have to get vouchers to access the parking lot and dunes during busy times. As long as your vehicle has the ORV permit you should be able to drive it on the dunes, but you'd want good tires for off-road and to lower the air pressure to 10 pounds - see: visitsilverlake.com/stories/off_road_vehicle…

Edited: 5:26 pm, May 27, 2011
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
4. Re: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

They would be renting from the company they would get the Jeep from, and all of the registration, ORV permits, orange flags etc are already taken care of. Otherwise, it is a hassle for sure Bay! But good that you pointed it out to others if they think of doing so-son has done it a number of times, but he has gotten over his thrill. LOL.

Berrien Springs...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

Pamperedchef, yes there is dunes that allow for personal vehicles, but as stated a state park permit is required along with and ORV tag.

I believe the cost for both is around $50. I haven't gotten mine yet this year for the jeep, but the cost is $26 for the yearly state park fee, and $20 for the orv.

The mac woods dune rides is a seperate area of the dunes that only they can use. They take you out in modified vehicles that hold I'm guessing 20 to 30 people each. I'm here at Silver Lake right now with some cold wind and slight rain showers, so no duning for me today.

Goggle Silver Lake and you should get many hits on information on the area regarding prices of the Mac woods dune rides, and the jeep rentals.

Note: don't spend your money on the little mini buggies they rent, they are just about worthless on the sand, you'll spend more time pushing them out vs riding them.

Enjoy

Mich Rob

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
6. Re: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????

I would not take out your personal truck (assuming that is what you are thinking of taking out on the dunes) out on the sand dunes. I think it best if you have the proper tires, air pressure, and a vehicle meant for sand dune riding. Son took his truck out and messed it up a few times. He learned a valuable lesson. Not saying it can't be done, but renting the Jeep is a much better idea-at least my honest opinion/idea. LOL. I'd save the bucks and go for a Mac Woods dune ride. Rent a boat with the extra bucks and drive the boat over across Silver Lake and use the beautiful sand dunes as a base for some fun-swimming, sunning, picnics, people watching.

Reply to: Parrot Landing or Mac Woods Dune Ride????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mears