We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UP must see and do

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nj
reviews: 56
UP must see and do

After driving up the coast of Lake Michigan we will be visiting the UP. What must we see and do?

15 replies to this topic
Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
reviews: 181
1. Re: UP must see and do

Where in the U.P. are you planning on going?

Nj
2. Re: UP must see and do

We have no set plan as to where we were going to go, we were going to wander. Trying to decide the musts and then come up with a plan

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
reviews: 181
3. Re: UP must see and do

There are so many places you could and places to see. The U.P. is a big place. What are you interested in?

Nj
4. Re: UP must see and do

We like nature - some short hikes (1 - 2 miles), bike trails, etc. Not interested in going to one place and spending a week there, not interested in sitting at a beach. Have no problem driving place to place.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 94
5. Re: UP must see and do

What you can see and do depends on how long do you have for the UP, a few hours, a day, or a few days?

6. Re: UP must see and do

Marquette is a must see. Very cool town. Hiking,biking,great restaurants and brewery's. Very scenic!

7. Re: UP must see and do

Marquette is a must see. Very cool town. Hiking,biking,great restaurants and brewery's. Very scenic!

Canton Michigan
reviews: 8
8. Re: UP must see and do

I would suggest Pictured Rocks. Lots of places to hike, beautiful scenery and plenty of waterfalls. Right on beautiful Lake Superior.

Dallas, Texas...
reviews: 1
9. Re: UP must see and do

djdrs, if you haven't already taken your trip, I can offer some recommendations. First of all, once you've crossed the Mackinac Bridge you could drive up to Sault Ste. Marie and see the Soo Locks (watch the huge boats go through the locks). Then you could drive not too far west to Tahquemenon Falls. Tahquemenon is the largest waterfall in Michigan and I believe the the largest next to Niagara east of the Mississippi. Then I would keep going west to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. As you drive through the park stop at all the points of interest. If you're up for a hike, hike to Chapel Beach, it is absolute beautiful. Also, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Pictured Rocks cruise out of Munising, you won't regret spending the 30 or so $$ for a few hours on the lake. Once you've left Pictured Rocks I think the most beautiful area of the U.P. is the Copper Harbor area. Copper Harbor is the northernmost point in Michigan, and the drives along the lake are the best in the state that I've seen, in my opinion. It's about a 4-5 hour drive from Pictured Rocks, but you'll have plenty of trees and beauty and small towns to drive through along the way. The western half of the U.P. is more hilly and rugged, and that's where most of the waterfalls in Michigan are located. If you are interested in knowing any more about the above or want more suggestions let me know, but I think I've pointed out to you the 3 most beautiful places in the U.P.

Edited: 1:53 am, July 21, 2013
Michigan
reviews: 43
10. Re: UP must see and do

Oh, I love the UP! So beautiful, though you mainly have to resign yourself to eat, um, homey food for the duration of your time there.

I suggest Kitchitikipi, this really cool underwater spring you can look at through a glass-bottomed boat. One of my favorite free attractions!

uppermichiganwaterfalls.com/Kitchitikipi.html

Plus, there's Tahquomenon Falls. Yes, waterfalls in Michigan. uppermichiganwaterfalls.com/tahquamenonfalls…

On your way in or out, go to Clyde's Drive In in St. Ignace for a 1/3 lb burger. It's part of our vacation traditions.

Reply to: UP must see and do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted