We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Lansing...
reviews: 13
How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

The first time visiting mackinaw city (exclude mackinaw island), and St. Ignace. Im wondering how many days would be enough visiting these three places.

My planned tourist attractions include: Jack Pine Lumberjack Show (7:30), Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse, Colonial Michilimaclomac, Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park

St. Ignace. Bridge View Park, Castle Rock

Dont know how long is the show? How long would we spend on the Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park (not going to do adventure trip)

are there any other good places to visit there?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 931
1. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

The Lumberjack Show is one hour. I have no idea what time you would want to spend at the Discovery Park!

There is the old Mackinaw Coast Guard Cutter (ship) that is very interesting. Right in town at the dock. I believe it is $10 a person, adult. Kids, I am not sure.

Lots of shopping in Mackinaw City, ice cream/fudge runs, a beach/parks to hang out in. Maybe two full days in MCity and St. Ignace.

One day on the island is sufficient. Go early, stay late! Ride bikes around the island perimeter (9 miles); Take a carriage ride. There are 2 Butterfly Houses. Another fort, but since you will have visited one, you probably would not care to see another. Shopping, a picnic by the lake maybe. Just walking around thru town and past beautiful summer homes is fun.

Cedarville, Michigan
reviews: 3
2. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

McGulpin Point Lighthouse is now open to the public (free admission). Just west of Mackinac City. Headlands Park is also in that neighborhood.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 94
3. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

Consider doing one of the lighthouse cruises as well.

I think you will want three full days. And you could find still more to do.

Bloomington
4. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

We will be staying at a condo in Boyne Falls, MI 9/28-10/4. Driving from Illinois, scenic route, and would like opinions which way to go. Thought about Saugatuck Dunes State Park, then across to Lakeport and drive north along the lake, Grindstone City, Kaukawlin, Alpena, and then to Boyne Falls which would take about 14 hrs. Is the drive scenic? What to see? Where to stay on the way (I think Lakeport is about half way). Or we could drive along the west side of Michigan? Also, would like day trip ideas from Boyne Falls. Planning to go to Mackinac Island for a day, and Upper Peninsula possibly Sault Ste Marie.

chicago
reviews: 19
5. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

One day in mackinaw city is more than enough, I'd spend as much time as possible on mackinac island, just did five days and definitely doing a week next year

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
reviews: 178
6. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

Sunny ~ I think the west side is more picturesque and more to do. The towns on the east side are much smaller and don't have the restaurants etc. that the west side towns do.

Little Rock
reviews: 17
7. Re: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.

Sunny - I would suggest. Starting your own post not "hijacking" this one ... You'll get more responses ... And yes, west side/LK. MI. is usually considered more scenic unless you have a reason to go over towards Detroit (to see their attractions)

Reply to: How many days needed visiting mackinaw city, island and St.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted