We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, PA
reviews: 2
July 4th

We are interested in being around Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island over the July 4th time frame. Is this a bad time to visit due to the holiday and alot of tourists?

We got notice that we have a few extra days off from work and would be traveling from Pennsylvania. We would like to stay in a hotel a day or two....but also have a very small motorhome B that we would be traveling in.

Any comments on the time period to visit as well as suggestions for camp sites? I like to be more planned for trips....but this was just sprung on me tonight.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Rochester Hills...
reviews: 69
1. Re: July 4th

It is busy but not crazy big city busy in any way. Lodging prices are going to be on the higher end and might be hard to come by at this point. We are typically in the area for the 4th of July fireworks (depending on where you sit in the city you might be able to see multiple fireworks shows going on at the same time). Since you have a motorhome, if you can't find a hotel you can see if the Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground has any spots open. We've stayed in their ,large cabins before and they are very nice. The majority of the camp spots are narrow, cramped and have no trees. Most likely all the prime spots along the lake are taken by now. Normally I would recommend Wilderness State Park but our state parks fill up about 6 months in advance. The Mill Creek campground is much closer to Mackinaw City and they offer free shuttles to the ferries if you want to go visit the Island (which you must do). I definitely think that you should go.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 91
2. Re: July 4th

The 4th of July is busy, but not as busy as later in the summer. The peak is mid July to Mid August. With the 4th being on a Thursday, it may not be quite as busy this year.

Mackinaw City will be full for the fireworks. People come from neighboring communities in the evening for the display and it takes a couple of hours for the cars to clear out after the display. TeePee Campground is my favorite location for viewing them. The Mackinac Bridge is behind the display from that angle, plus you can watch the fireworks in St. Ignace and Mackinac Island in the distance. Take bug spray, the mosquitoes will be out after dark near the water.

In addition to the two campgrounds which CDJD mentions, there is a KOA which is not on the water. Also, Mackinac Motor Lodge and Resort is on the water east of town and has some sites.

Little Rock
reviews: 17
3. Re: July 4th

I am sure that many of the more popular / better campgrounds are full. but here are several websites

michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/parkmap.aspx

An interactive list of MI State Parks and Stare Forest Campgrounds (above)

Private compgrounds (below)

http://www.michcampgrounds.com/

www.michcampgrounds.com/searchresults.php…

Reply to: July 4th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted