We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
detroit
reviews: 93
Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

Mama Mia Pizzeria and the bridge musuem upstairs has burnt down. Just last week. I was just there on August 22, and it now has caught fire. At lot of stuff in there was years and years old...it's a shame....all the historic bridge pictures of it being built and such. They say the building was over 100 years old.

Swartz Creek
reviews: 29
1. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

That bridge museum was a special place. What a shame.

2. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:49 am, September 07, 2005
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 31
3. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

I am so sorry to hear that! The museum was great. My family especially loved the film and the construction pictures. This makes me very sad!! If anyone from Mackinaw City is reading this, please try to find pictures of construction from the local residents and put together another museum, perhaps even a stand alone museum, that could showcase this engineering marvel. Those of us who visit the area often and love it hope that a new museum can be brought to life.

Michigan
reviews: 21
4. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

I'm very saddened to hear of the news. I'm going there this weekend and I was looking forward to showing my fiancee the museum that I grew up admiring annually. I surely hope they recoverd some items and possibly make another museum some day.

-
5. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

I am actually from Mackinaw City, and I can tell you that they are rebuilding Mama Mia's. It should be done some time in June, but I honestly don't have any idea if they are going to incorporate another Bridge Museum. I doubt that they would be able to amass that kind of collection again, as it was the private collection of JC Stilwell (the primary owner of Mama Mia's).

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
6. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

JC is working on a new bridge museum, but progress is slow. Many of the items lost were one-of-a-kind.

The restaurant will reopen soon, but the museum will come later.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
7. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

BTW after the fire, I built this page as a tribute to the museum: http://www.mightymac.org/bridgemuseum.htm

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 31
8. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

I am so glad the restaurant will be back and I hope the museum is back soon. Love them both! Moms

North Vernon, IN
reviews: 3
9. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

I just read the original post and I'm soooo sad- we were just there last summer and we loved the pizza and the museum. We spent at least an hour in the museum we read the stories, watched the film. I'm almost in tears thinking about that beautiful collection being burned. I hope they're able to rebuild it but some of that stuff was one of kind. so sad

Maribeth

10. Re: Mama Mia Pizzeria and Bridge Museum BURN DOWN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 15, 2009