We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hotel - worth seeing?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monroe, MI
reviews: 17
Grand Hotel - worth seeing?

I will be going to Mackinac Island in May. We aren't staying at the Grand Hotel, but I saw that you could go visit for $5 admission. Is it worth going to just look around?

Indianapolis...
reviews: 20
1. Re: Grand Hotel - worth seeing?

I'd say it's worth seeing. The grounds are beautiful, porch is amazing, and lobby is impressive. Definitely spend some time in the rocking chairs on the porch and have someone take your picture. But last time I heard, it was $10 to get in, or included in the cost of the luncheon buffet.

When you are done, go up to the West Bluff and check out the beautiful homes up there.

Swartz Creek
reviews: 29
2. Re: Grand Hotel - worth seeing?

I agree with previous poster. At least once. For fun, try and rent or buy the movie "Some Where in Time", with Chris Reeves... It was filmed on the island and at the hotel. Maybe you already knew that LOL

Wisconsin
reviews: 2
3. Re: Grand Hotel - worth seeing?

I would recommend not just visiting, but also eating there and enjoying the ballroom afterwards. It is most certainly one of the best experiences especially if you like to get a little dressed up once and a while. Be warned that men must wear a jacket and tie, and women must wear their "evening best." It isn't too often that you get to experience a time gone by like you can here. The ballroom has a band that plays big band music, it's great! Of course you need to spend some time on the porch. The month of May could be quite cool in the evening, I find that July and August or the best times to visit. If you eat dinner there the admission fee is waived. Have a good time!

4. Re: Grand Hotel - worth seeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 25, 2009