We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Caledonia, Michigan
Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

I'm taking my 2 kids, ages 6 & 8, for our first trip to Mackinac island next week. We are staying at the Grand for one night and bringing our bikes. I'm debating about doing the carriage tour. Do kids typically enjoy it or is it geared more towards adults? I'm planning on biking the island but thought we'd see more if we did the tour too but I wasn't sure if it's worth it since we're only there a short time.

Thank you for any tips!!

6 replies to this topic
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
reviews: 35
1. Re: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

Years and years ago I took my kids when they were 2 and 5 on the carriage ride. I remember it being fun. You mostly get to see the things in the interior -- which is harder to get to with bikes because of hills -- (as I remember). They will enjoy the fort too if they are doing canon demos and things like that.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
2. Re: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

When I was a child, the driver played up to me, offering me his personal cookies and inviting me to sit up front.

Probably a good way to get a tip.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 76
3. Re: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

I'd say to pass on this if you plan to tour via bike on your own. You can probably do better with your own schedule and plan.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
4. Re: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

The most common and easiest bicycling is the 8 mile loop around the Island. It does not visit the same area as the carriage tour.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
reviews: 35
5. Re: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

Yes lighthouse lover that is why I thought the carriage tour would still be a good idea for them. I just did the carriage tour a couple years ago and the driver told jokes and stories. Think the kids would like it.

Edited: 10:08 am, June 30, 2014
Livonia, MI
reviews: 2
6. Re: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?

It's good for kids. As mentioned the inner part of the island is hilly and can be hard to bike with small children so the carriage rides takes you past a lot of places in the interior of the island. Plus you have the option of getting off to visit the butterfly house that is in the interior then getting back on another carriage when you are ready to continue the trip.

Reply to: Carriage tour for 8 and 6 yr old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted