We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

I want to drive from Chicago to mackinaw island, pls suggest me good route & how to reach to island? Where can I park my car? Where can I stay?

I have my family with me.

Marquette, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

Hello!

The best way to reach Mackinac Island is to travel from Chicago through Grand Rapids, following 131 North and then merging onto I-75 towards the Mackinac Bridge.

To reach the Island, you will take a ferry across from either Mackinaw City (right below the Mackinac Bridge) or St. Ignace (just north of the bridge). There are three ferry lines to choose from, Shepler's, Star Line and Arnold and each offer parking options. You can find more information at http://www.mackinacisland.org/getting-here/

For lodging information, visit http://www.mackinacisland.org/lodging/

or call the Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau at 1800-454-5227 and the staff will be happy to answer any questions regarding transportation, activities and lodging information.

Enjoy your stay on Mackinac Island!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
2. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

Safe, free parking is available at the Ferry lines. All three offer a reasonably high level of service at similar prices. I am fond of Shepler's, both for their quality and for their community service, but you will find people in this community who use all three lines. I like the ride from Mackinaw City, because the views are better, but you will also find fans of both sides.

Some of the morning departures include a pass under the Mackinac Bridge. That adds a few minutes, but most people enjoy it and you might wish to check on those departures when selecting a time.

You can save a few dollars by purchasing tickets online in advance. There is no reserve seating and you don't have to select which time or day you are going when purchasing tickets.

There are a fairly wide range of places to stay on the Island. The largest and most famous is the Grand Hotel. With the exception of a few specials, it is pretty pricey. The Chippewa Hotel on the water was very nice suites at a lower price.

Edited: 2:45 pm, March 26, 2014
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
3. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

If you are on the north side of Chicago you may want to consider driving through Wisconsin and the upper peninsula instead. It is a little longer and the speed limits are lower in the UP, but it is much more scenic and you can easily make up the time if you avoid getting stuck in Chicago traffic.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
4. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

Going through Wisconsin takes about a third longer.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
5. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

Actually it very much depends on starting point and traffic.

Per Google, Highland Park IL (just north of Chicago) to St. Ignace, MI

Via I-75 - 444 miles, 6 hours 58 minutes. In current (mid-afternoon) traffic 7 hours 52 minutes.

Via I-40/US-2 - 430 miles, 7 hours 16 minutes.

Even from O'Hare it is 2 miles longer to go via Wisconsin and about 30 minutes slower without traffic.

There are also the ferry options from Milwaukee and Manitowoc, but those won't save time and can be costly.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
reviews: 184
6. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

but the likelihood of hitting traffic on eastbound 80-94 is high pretty much at any time during the day, including weekends... been there, done that.... many times and it ain't no fun.... if the OP lives anywhere in the northern 'burbs, taking the wisc route is definitely a viable option.. and agree, it's generally more scenic, especially north of marinette....

also, i do recommend taking a ferry across the lake, preferably the ss badger.... yeah, it adds cost, and may or may not save time, BUT, it's a journey worth taking at least once in a lifetime.... to save $$, you could just take it one way.... this way, you can take advantage of driving thru/visiting the northern portion of michigan, to include petsokey, harbor springs, sleeping bear dunes and the very scenic route M-22 as well as the nice beachtowns of manistee and ludington without the hassles of driving around the south end of the lake.....

7. Re: Travel to mackinaw Island, MI from Chicago, IL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2015