We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Mackinac Island

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
Ferry to Mackinac Island

Which is the best ferry service to use to get to Mackinac Island from Mac City? What about parking a car at the ferry dock?

Little Rock
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

Everybody has their own personal opinion. If you search "ferry" or just peruse the Mackinac Island section of the TA Michigan forum, you'll find it is often asked and answered.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

I like Sheplers...

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
191 reviews
3. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

All three are similar in time and price. You will not go wrong. I think that Shepler's has been a better corporate citizen and has a good reputation for how they treat their employees.

Flint, mi
Level Contributor
666 posts
924 reviews
4. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

I agree.

Shepler's is my favorite. Nice dock location RIGHT at the end of Main street (or whatever the main downtown street is called), at the main harbor. Its fun to look at the yachts docked right across the loading platform and the piloting skills of the Captains are amazing (the boat quickly turns around in a very tight space).

If ship stability in rough waters is an issue for you, you may want to consider the catamarans of Arnold Lines (a little less bobbing and rocking).

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
205 reviews
5. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

Arnold Transit Company is the best...and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

:-)

Mackinaw City...
4 posts
6. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

For years I've commuted to work on Shepler's. I've been impressed by their dedication to customer service.

From their staff's friendliness towards and interaction with their customers to their boat maintenance and attention to details (cleanliness, for example), it's not without reason that I've watched Shepler's share of the Mackinac Island ferry market increase.

Their dockside parking space is much smaller than their passenger traffic requires, so much of their parking is remote. The massive operation to shuttle passengers and vehicles between their dock and the remote parking lots is impressive. They also shuttle passengers between their dock and motels and campgrounds.

While this may sound like an advertisement for Shepler's, my statements come from years of observation.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

LOL Lung! We usually take Sheplers just because it is what we are used to and the people are nice. When I went to the island off season I took Arnold since they were the only company that was running that time of year. I had no issues with Arnold. They were very freindly as well and I didn't sink so that's all I cared about. :)

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
1,083 reviews
8. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

Shepler's. :0)

LOL, Lung! Straight to the point. ;)

Kilarney-too funny! "I didn't sink so...!"

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
205 reviews
9. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

Arnold has the best logo. That's why I go with them.

This thread is hilarious!

Kilarney - right on. The only thing that matters.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
369 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Ferry to Mackinac Island

I always love this topic. So fun to see the opinions. We prefer Shepler's also. We love to go across the bridge and go out of St Ignace. Its never busy. The people are wonderful and the parking is amazingly convenient.

We took Star Line once a couple of years ago because it was part of a hotel package. Had several issues and have gone back to Shepler's ever since.

Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island