We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mifflin
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
car rental

My son and his bride to be will be going to Mackinac Island for their honeymoon. The details aren't planned yet, but they will probably stay for a week. I've never been there, but I'm helping with making the arrangements. Do you recommend that they rent a car for the week and park it at the ferry parking lot on the Mackinaw Ciy side in case they want to come across to Mackinaw City and want to do other things during the week? Or won't they need a car?

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: car rental

How are they getting to Mackinaw City?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2. Re: car rental

I believe they will want to get off the island and do other things. Mackinac Island is not that big.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
44,920 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: car rental

Yooperbacker is probably right. A week can be a long time on the island for some. But more importantly, how are they getting to Mackinac City?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: car rental

If they aren't arriving in Mackinaw City with a rental car, the Pellston Airport is probably the closest place to get one.

A week on the island is a bit longer than most visits, but if they plan to visit the UP, Harbor Springs and the like, then yes, get a car and leave it in Mackinaw City at the ferry dock lot when they're not using it.

I've never heard of any issues with leaving cars in the free overnight lots, though all three offer secure overnight parking if that provides peace of mind.

Austintown, OH
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: car rental

I'm wondering where the nearest car rental place is to Mackinaw. I have a small car and want to rent a larger car in the Youngstown, OH area, then drive to Mackinaw for one day - then after staying on the Island for 5 days, rent another car to come home in..... Can anyone help?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
191 reviews
6. Re: car rental

The closest place to Mackinaw to rent a car is the Pellston Regional Airport. Rental options at that location are limited and very expensive. It is likely that it would be more expensive to do one way rentals, than to just keep the car that you rent in Youngstown. There is safe, free parking at the ferries.

Particularly since you would still have the expense of getting to and from Mackinaw City, 14 miles away.

Edited: 8:37 am, February 14, 2013
Austintown, OH
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: car rental

Thank you I appreciate the advice! I just didn't know if I wanted to pay daily for a vehicle that would be parked for several days, pretty much without use.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
191 reviews
8. Re: car rental

This web site is designed for Orlando trips, but I have found discounts for rental cars everywhere on this page: mousesavers.com/transportation-for-disney-va…

9. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island