We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall colors and Oct. weather

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 11
Fall colors and Oct. weather

Will be visiting Mackinac Island on Oct. 1-2. Can anyone clue me in to the weather this time of year and if this is a good time to see the fall colors. Thank you for your help.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 1,020
1. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

I am not sure about color on Mackinac Island, since I have never been in the fall! I know around that part of the Northern Lower Peninsula, color is usually at about peak at that time. But then it varies every season, of course. So, even if you do not see much on the island, you should see it on the way up there. Are you driving?

Illinois
2. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

We are driving from Illinois (near Peoria) up the eastern coast to Mackinac Island. So if anyone has suggestions on places to visit along the way, I would love the info.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

We were on the island at that time last year. We only had rain once, and the rest of the time was wonderful. I wore capris and sweatshirts during the day, jeans and sweaters at night. Very nice!

Things were just starting to turn color at that time. I have a picture posted here on TA called "quiet road in the Fall". It is pretty typical of the color we saw there. The crowds were far less and we enjoyed talking with many of the locals.

Have fun!

Great USA
4. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

We flew into the Pellston airport 2 years ago and stayed on Mackinac Island. There wasn't much color on the island yet, but around Pellston, there was a great deal of color. This puzzled me, but many locals said this particular spot in the northern lower peninsula gets color much earlier than other parts of northern Michigan. It was a lovely time to visit; we stayed at the Iroquois Hotel and found it to be a wonderful inn. Service was top notch; the food was excellent; the setting perfect. Be sure to rent bikes and ride around the whole island on their "Highway." Take a picnic lunch. Walk some of the trails, and visit the cemetery, for a lot of history. We found the fort a bit boring but the restaurant at the fort had some divine desserts! Have a great time on the island, you will find it truly unique, I am sure!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
5. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

The timing of the colors is a little different each year, but that is almost certain to be too early for colors on the Island.

Because of the temperate effect of the water, the colors come later on the Island than in the surrounding area on the mainland. You will see the same thing happen in Mackinaw City.

Oakland County...
reviews: 151
6. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

The last few years, we have headed up to see the beautiful, Fall colors. In October 2004, we lucked out and the leaves were at their peak... just every color and what we expected a "Fall Color Tour" to be. We were tipped off by an elderly couple to go drive the "Tunnel of Leaves" from Macknaw City to Harbor Springs. It was a very pretty drive.

In October 2006, we headed to Traverse City for the wine trails and the leaves were also beautiful. We didn't have the "Tunnel of Leaves" to venture through, but scenery from the vineyards with the lake and changing trees in the background was wonderful for picture taking.

Have a great trip!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
7. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

When you say driving up the eastern coast, do you mean of Lake Michigan or of Michigan? East or West side of Michigan?

Illinois
8. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

Rono-

You sound like my husband! He said the same thing. LOL!

We are driving up the eastern shore of Lake Michigan through Ludington etc.

Thank you all for your help and keep the tips coming. They are greatly appreciated.

Effingham, Illinois
reviews: 2
9. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

save

Michigan
10. Re: Fall colors and Oct. weather

The trees are already starting to turn colors up north. It is starting to get colder at night. We had frost Sep.8th.

Just remember to bring a light coat with you.