We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Mt Pleasant

Which Lansing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 22
Chicago to Mt Pleasant

Hi

We are spending traveling from the UK into Chicago. We're spending a few days there and then going to Mt Pleasant, MI for a wedding. We'd like to fly home from Toronto, spending a few days there possibly seeing Niagara on the way or as a side trip from Toronto.

I'm finding fares are high into Lansing. Anyone know of any cheap flights there? There seem to be cheap flights to Flint which looks close enough but can't find any car hire there and even if we do can we drive and drop off the car in Niagara or Toronto?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
1. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

Hello turkeyfan,

You may want to look into flying to Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR). From Grand Rapids to Mt. Pleasant is 95 miles (153 km).

or you could rent a car in Chicago and drive to Mt. Pleasant. The distance from Chicago to Mt. Pleasant is 286 miles (460 km).

Jackson, Michigan
reviews: 14
2. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

You might also consider looking at Tri City airport. (MBS) This will be close to Mt. Pleasant. The cheapest flights to Michigan are usually into Detroit DTW.

North Muskegon...
reviews: 61
3. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

Flint's Bishop airport has some of the cheapest fares available.

http://www.bishopairport.org/rental-cars.htm for rental cars.

Livonia, Michigan
reviews: 6
4. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

Another option---Look into taking the Amtrack train from Chicago to East Lansing, than renting a car and driving to Mt. Pleasant (about 1 hour drive). They have one direct train from downtown Chicago to East Lansing (Blue Water 364), leaves Chicago 4:10 pm, arrives E. Lansing 9:29 pm, depending on how far you book in advance, day traveling I saw 1 way ticket as low as $22 (Sept 26), other dates were under $50 each. They also have 2 other trains that you can take, but you will get off train in Battle Creek, and than they put you on a bus that will take you to the East Lansing Train station. Those times were may actually be better for you.

The key is to book early---as the train fills up, prices go up. Also, check "hot deals" sometimes you can find a fare actually cheaper there than on the regular website. But those are kinda of a hit or miss. My daughter took the train last fall (had to take bus from East Lansing, to Battle Creek, than train) had direct train back. No problem--other than train was late coming in to Chicago---they share tracks with freight so trains can be delayed.

Anyways, this may be a less costly way, you will have to get a hold of Amtrack to find out how to get a rental car in East Lansing.

Renting a car in Chicago can be costly (son lives there) tax's are very high. And driving out of the city can be a real pain.

Livonia, Michigan
reviews: 6
5. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

P.S.

The Amtrack train is very nice, however I would recommend taking food on the train with you (plenty of places to buy sandwichs, around and in train station). There is a dining car, the food is not very good (like vending machine pizza, sandwhich) and $$$. I took the train last month to Chicago, and got a great sandwich in the food court @ train station.

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

Firstly thanks to everyone for all this help! If this is anything to go by Michigan will be a friendly place.

The cheap flights I found on a comparison site from Chicago to Flint actually turned out to be to Detroit. I suppose that might be worth considering.

The train sounds good but we are tight for time both for planning and the actual time there (10 days).

Does anyone know about continuing on to Niagara and Toronto. Would we be best to drop the car in Niagara and if so is it easy to get to Toronto by ferry? Is it easier to hire a car from Detroit to Niagara or Toronto?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 17
7. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

My niece lives near Chicago and went to school in Mt. Pleasant. She found that the best way to get back and forth was to fly through Detroit. However, since you are continuing on to Toronto, I would recommend renting the car in Chicago, taking it to Mt. Pleasant and then seeing Niagara before dropping the car in Toronto. You'll wind up saving a fair amount over the train plus the short rentals, but you do need to find an agency that will let you take the car into Canada. Or, you could drop the car in Niagara and take the boat to Toronto.

Be sure to do search for discount and specials at the major rental agencies.

8. Re: Chicago to Mt Pleasant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Lansing