We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

Which Houghton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 284
Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

My boyfriend and I are nearing our 4 year anniversary. He lives up in the U.P. in Houghton and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of an interesting date activity to do. Last year, we went dog sledding! We're open to all types of activities, from outdoor/adventure to just exploring a new town that's close by.

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good date night restaurant to go to in the area.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
reviews: 189
1. Re: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

Bambu is a nicer, quieter, place for date night. How about heading out to Copper Harbor...maybe checking out the frozen coast line. If really adventurous..make the hike up Brockway Mountain.

Chicago
reviews: 175
2. Re: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

or, make life easier on yourselves and rent snowmobiles in hancock, ride up to copper harbor via brockway mtn drive, stay the nite in a cozy inn, cabin or B&B, then ride back to houghton next morning... it ain't gonna be cheap, but it will be great!!!!

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
3. Re: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

Rent snow shoes from Cross Country Sports in Calumet. Snow shoe the trails at Swedetown. Then Dinner at the Michigan House. Which is right next door to the sports store.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 995
4. Re: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

Lung, my DH and I went snowshoeing around Calumet, way back in 1979! He is from TX and had barely seen snow, except at a couple ski resorts in CO and NM. He'd never had to "deal" with it. He was the boyfriend at the time, we were visiting a good friend of mine at MTU. When we left TX, it was 80*. I think they had 350 inches that year? He was in for a huge shock! But he snowshoed better than me! But it was the funniest trip we ever had! People didn't understand him, he was improperly dressed for such weather, he wore COWBOY boots on the hills, he learned how to sled on one of those hills and ended up flying over M-41...and so on.

I 2nd the snowshoeing idea. ;)!

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 284
5. Re: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

Our anniversary isn't for another few weeks but I think we're going to go for the snow shoe-ing since I've never done that before. Not sure what restaurant we'll head to yet but thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
6. Re: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton

tyme~ I think that was the record year for snow up here. Funny story!

Reply to: Looking for a good date activity/restaurant in Houghton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted