We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Holland from Chicago

Which Holland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yokohama, Japan
reviews: 15
How to get to Holland from Chicago

Hi,

Is there an option of taking a ferry across lake Michigan to Holland? If yes, how long does the trip take and whats the cost?

Alternatively, if I was to drive, will there be any interesting places I should be stopping at on the way to Holland?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
1. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

I believe the only ferry across Lake Michigan is much farther to the north between Ludington and Wisconsin. Driving is your best bet, but I believe there are also some short hop flights from Chicago O'Hare to Grand Rapids.

Grand Rapids, MI
2. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

You could also take the Amtrak train from Chicago to Holland. There is one train a day to Holland. It leaves Chicago @ 5:20 PM (from Union Station) and arrives Holland @ 9:20 PM. Check www.amtrak.com to buy tickets.

North Muskegon...
reviews: 55
3. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

There is a ferry from Milwaukee,WI to Muskegon,MI.

Muskegon,MI is about 30 miles north of Holland,MI

In the neighborhood of $400 roundtrip for two people with a car.

If a car is not needed in Holland,MI, I second the train idea.

Michigan
reviews: 2
4. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

I agree with the rest, the train is the cheepest, but both United and American fly from O'hare to the Airport in Grand Rapids, then it's a 30 min drive into Holland

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
reviews: 35
5. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

Depending on where you are starting from in Chicago it will be about a 3 hr drive to Holland. Once you get past the I80 construction stuff in Indiana it is an easy drive continuing on I94 into Michigan. Just past St Joseph/ Benton Harbor you switch to I196 and the drive becomes nearly peaceful. On the way you could make stops in St Joseph and South Haven to visit the cute downtown areas by the lake. Actually if you leave I 94 at Exit 23 in St Joseph you could head north into town on the Red Arrow Highway. North of St Joseph the Red Arrow Hwy turns into the Blue Star Highway and will take you right to South Haven. Continuing on after South Haven you will come to Saugatuk -- another wonderful stop. Then you are only a few miles away from Holland.

Chicago,IL
reviews: 3
6. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

Does Blue Star HWY take you into Holland?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
7. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

Patti, it does. They have changed it a bit though. When you leave Saugatuck headed north you will come to a T corner. Turn left and Holland is about 6 miles. You can jump on US 31 there or continue straight and it will turn into Washington, then Michigan, then River then you'll be downtown Holland.

8. Re: How to get to Holland from Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, January 06, 2010