We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopping by on the way to mackinac island

Which Frankenmuth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 6
stopping by on the way to mackinac island

as you read, i'm planning a road trip to mackinac island (but staying in mackinaw city and taking the ferry) and someone suggested stopping by frankenmuth. I dont know too much about frankenmuth... is it a German town? anywhere i should definitely check out? (restaurants or parks, etc..) if theres a lot to see and do, i can spend a day here and get a hotel

traveling from Guelph, canada to Mackinac Island. i believe once we get to michigan, pass by Flint then take i-75 to mack island. any suggestions on places to check out thats on the way? thanks in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: stopping by on the way to mackinac island

http://www.frankenmuth.org/thingstodo

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 927
2. Re: stopping by on the way to mackinac island

Bavarian Inn for a chicken dinner or Zehnder's Z Chef Cafe, downstairs in Zehnder's. Great food. Cute gift shops thru town, nice decorations during the holidays, clean town, beautiful landscaping and parks.

Bronner's Christma store-largest in the world. Silent Night Chapel (on grounds).

Rose garden is very pretty when roses are in bloom. Nice park to have a picnic in on both sides of the river.

Tiffany's (bar/rest) for pizza and beer.

It was settled by Germans. The architecture is German on most buildings in the downtown area. There is a nice, small museum that is worth a visit if you are into history. Frankenmuth Historical Museum. St. Lorenz Lutheran Church is beautiful and worth a quick self tour if you are interested. Across the street is the burial ground for the founding members of Frankenmuth, I do believe. Ring the bell in the cemetery!

Frankenmuth...
reviews: 62
3. Re: stopping by on the way to mackinac island

Frankenmuth his home to Bronner's the Worlds largest CHRISTmas store. It is an amazing attraction store with an exact replica of the Chapel in Austria where the song , "Silent Night" was first sung on Christmas Eve. You can visit the exact to scale chapel for free at the south side of Bronner's

Frankenmuth is exit 136 from Northbound I-75 about 20 minutes north of Flint.

Bavarian Inn Lodge is a wonderful and family competitive resort with family activities but also an adult only pool and whirlpool, nightly entertainment and free shuttle to the world famous Bav. Inn Restaurant and River Place Shops.

Birmingham, Michigan
reviews: 16
4. Re: stopping by on the way to mackinac island

I guess I'm either in the minority, or the a-hole in the bunch but, Frankenmuth sucks. It's a tourist trap. If you want to make a detour and stop somewhere check out Petoskey or Harbor Springs. Obviously doesn't break your trip up, but much more interesting area. Unless you love Fried Chicken and crappy kitschy things.

Reply to: stopping by on the way to mackinac island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Frankenmuth