We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

Which Frankenmuth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Truro, Massachusetts
reviews: 17
traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

I am traveling from Ma. through New York to Frankenmuth Mi. I am going the shortest route which entails going through Canada for 132 miles. Is there anything I should know about return trip to Ny far as bringing items back. I plan to do holiday shopping. I see the exemption is $800. Are there any restrictions?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 3
1. Re: traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

Are you asking about items you purchase in Frankenmuth or in Ontario? When you enter Canada, the border agents there will want to know what you have with you that could be left in Canada and therefore subject to duty. There are special rules if you're in-transit through Canada. Check the Canada Border Services Agency site at cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/…s2x4.

When you cross back into NY, US Customs and Border Protection will be primarily concerned with what you acquired while in Canada. As long as you have the receipts from items purchased in Michigan, those won't be a problem.

If you're basing your assumption of an $800 exemption on the booklet on the CPB site, please go back and re-read it: cbp.gov/linkhandler/…kbyg_regulations.pdf

You will only be eligible for a $200 exemption as you will not be outside the US for at least 48-hours.

North Muskegon...
reviews: 55
2. Re: traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

"Is there anything I should know about return trip to Ny far as bringing items back."

No pepper spray, : (

Truro, Massachusetts
reviews: 17
3. Re: traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

Thank you! We will not be buying in Canada I doubt. but will be Christmas shopping in Mi. Thank you for the input. I will be bringing a camera and laptop with me though.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
4. Re: traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

Should not not any problems--oh, no radar detectors are allowed in Canada...I'm not sure if its in the trunk and not being used its OK to bring in to Canada. Hmmm..I don't use those but many people do...even in Canada, ha ha...I seen quite a few cars doing 105 km/h in the left lanes only to see a police car a few mins later on and after it past, traffic sped back up...I did 110 and gently tap the brakes when I spotted them, had no problems

Edited: 11:39 pm, October 20, 2012
Sault Ste. Marie...
reviews: 26
5. Re: traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

One bit of advice would be to time your two border crossings very carefully. The wait times (especially US bound) can approach an hour. If you happen to have a Nexus card it goes way faster. If not, you need at least a passport.

6. Re: traveling from NY through Canada to Frankenmuth Mi.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Frankenmuth