We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not very German

Which Frankenmuth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
IL USA
reviews: 36
Not very German

We are finding Frankenmuth very boring and below standard food. Can find no German music anywhere, probably because it's Monday. However, we found Bronners wonderful, and the Marv Herzog Hotel wonderful. Other than that, just shop after shop and expensive beer with eighties music. Looking forward to getting out of town in the am and don't really recommend this place. Tourist trap in the middle of nowhere.

Gaylord, Michigan
reviews: 144
1. Re: Not very German

Love Frankenmuth. Wonderful food, the covered bridge, the people and Bronner's. Did I say wonderful food?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 924
2. Re: Not very German

Like all "theme" towns, after its original premise, and its wild popularity, a town starts adding things that will keep others coming back-larger hotels, larger pools, indoor waterparks, shopping, more general restaurants, other forms of music venues, bars, more festivals, horse and carriage rides thru their beautiful streets, nicer parks, outstanding landscaping/flowers, museums, petting farms, historical monuments (the Bridge), military museum, campgrounds, fudge/ice cream/taffy/popcorn/sweet shops, some corny attractions, expand their own small historical museum, padde wheel boat rides, walking paths, public gardens, picnic areas, a huge plethora of locally owned small shops, typical businesses (grocery stores, fast food places, pharmacies, gas stations etc), boat launches, breweries, wine shops, cheese/sausage shops, and gosh only knows what else. Some people see that as growth, others over commercialization, most of us probably somewhere in between.

There is no where in he$$ you are not going to find expensive beer in a German tourist town. As far as the music, yes, being a Monday you won't find any German music, though did you ask anyone, if by chance there would be any around? I am guessing you did. I just read your reviews on your hotel and the Bavarian Inn. Well, I am very glad you liked your hotel and Bronner's. Those are both very nice places. I happen to love the Bavarian Inn, and I see you did order a German dish. I am sorry to hear it was that bad. We have had German food there several times over the years (I am about 20 miles from F'muth) and have had both good and poor German food. As far as their chicken, I have found people are very picky about their chicken, and this one wasn't for you-us-we love it. :)

Yes, there is shop after shop, but without shops, what kind shopping would you do? I happen to love the selection of shops in F'muth. I don't know what you were expecting on that note. Enlighten me. Did you like the Bridge, the flowers, the landscaping? The horse and carriages? Did you watch the Glockenspiel Tower and the story of the Pied Piper of Hamlin? Here is a link to it that is very interesting:

bavarianinn.com/dine/glockenspiel-tower/

I am happy you like your hotel and Bronner's and I am sorry you didn't hear any German music. And yes, it can be over commercialized. But I don't understand the rest of your disappointment, and I highly do not think it is a tourist trap. Really, after a lovely (per your review) stay at Marv Herzog Hotel, you can't "wait" to get out of town? Well, to each his own opinion, of course, and being on TA, it is good to hear both sides of the coin. Thank for telling us about your trip.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 29
3. Re: Not very German

Well, this is an interesting review. Frankenmuth, Mi or Leavenworth, WA or New Braunfels, TX are all German American themed towns. Yes, they are tourist towns but are they tourist traps? I suppose if one visits on a day when many of the German qualities of the locale are unavailable, you could conclude that it is a tourist trap. Generally, it is not a tourist trap. The chicken is admittedly not terribly German. However the buttered noodles and red cabbage are as authentic as those you would find in central to northern Germany (the noodles are not like the spatzle in Bavaria which is where most Americans travel in Germany). The glockenspiel at the Bavarian Inn is clearly a sibling to that found in Bern, Switzerland. The beer, while sometimes expensive, is of a similar quality to many found in the Germanic countries. Are there a lot of things to do that entertain families? Yes, there are but have you been to Fuessen Germany in the summer? Lots of similar places there!

So, I guess my point is, it is a tourist town that caters to tourists. I think it is too strong to call it a tourist trap (Have you visited Lancaster, PA-this Amish haven has indeed become a true tourist trap!) Moms

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 17
4. Re: Not very German

Minor nit-Spatzle is Schwaben (or Swabian), not Bavarian.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
5. Re: Not very German

I spent a lot of time in the real Bavaria for work (Regensburg, Munich, Nuremburg, etc.). I don't recall ever running into fried chicken.

Tourist areas have to cater to a very wide demographic. People want food they are comfortable with, not necessarially authentic. Thats why you can find Applebees, Chili's and McDonalds everywhere you go.

If you can get to Detroit, try the Dakota Inn Rathskeller. Authentic food and nightly sing alongs. It is a bit pricy. Their German imports were better than the beer at the Frankenmuth Brewery IMO. The neighborhood is pretty bad, but they do have guarded parking.

www.dakota-inn.com

reviews: 4
6. Re: Not very German

I have to agree. My husband and I just got back from the Oktoberfest in Frankenmuth. I was very disappointed by the lack of German music - a German band playing "Spanish Eyes" and "The Electric Slide"?! In Buffalo, NY our Oktoberfest has two German bands, the German-American Band and the Frankfurters. Both play non-stop GERMAN music! Frankenmuth is a nice town, but they really don't play into the Bavarian theme as much as they could. German food is impossible to find. Also disappointed with Bronner's. Very small selection of German smokers. No German pyramids, authentic German ornaments. Frankenmuth was nice to visit, but I don't think we'll be back for quite a while.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 924
7. Re: Not very German

I don't think Bronner's attempts to "do" anything German, it covers many nationalities with ornaments, etc. I would have to say Frankenmuth is German, Bronner's is definitely not.

Terre Haute, IN
reviews: 70
8. Re: Not very German

Frankenmuth is a very cute little town with lots of UNIQUE shops. I wouldn't call this place a tourist trap, but I would say it is very touristy. The landscaping was beautiful and the atmosphere was so nice and relaxing. If you aren't doing the waterparks at the hotels, you would probably only want to stay for a couple of days. We only came for the day and we really enjoyed ourselves. If you want some authentic German Christmas decorations, you can go to the Frankenmuth Clock Co shop in town across from the Riverplace shops and they do have the ornaments, pyramids, etc.. The food was pretty good at the Bavarian Inn. I didn't care too much for the fried chicken but the roast beef with the wine sauce was really good and the pork loin was good too. Don't forget about the outlet mall in Birch Run--it's HUGE!!! Overall, a very nice day trip or weekend trip!

Gaylord, Michigan
reviews: 144
9. Re: Not very German

Glad you enjoyed Frankenmuth, Fademist. Hope you come back. It's a unique town and we enjoy it everytime we visit.

10. Re: Not very German

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, May 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Frankenmuth