We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

Which East Lansing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
reviews: 75
Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

We are attending a Friday night Michigan State game, which is in the evening and would like to fill our day with something to do to fill in the drive. We are open to suggestions for visiting museums, landmarks, or other points of interest unique to Michigan. Also would like to get suggestions on a place to eat in East Lansing - spouse prefers brew pubs if there is one worth recommending. Thank you in advance fellow Trip Advisors.

6 replies to this topic
Williamston...
reviews: 78
1. Re: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

If you're starting from Lincoln Park, you don't have far to go for one of the best museums in the region. In Dearborn, about 15 minutes from Lincoln Park, is the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village complex. It will take up your whole day (they close at 5pm). You can look it up for more details.

There's really not that much worth a stop between Lincoln Park and East Lansing, and anyways, it's only probably an hour and a half drive.

If you think that might be a bit much or just wanted to get up to East Lansing early enough to beat the traffic, you could visit the Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing, which is a nice free museum that concentrates on Michigan history.

As for places to eat in East Lansing, I think Dublin Square and Harper's are fairly popular. Likely to be crowded, though. You could also search out places in Lansing.

Williamston...
reviews: 78
2. Re: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

One other thought, since that game is on the start of Labor day weekend, you might want to make sure to leave the Detroit area a bit earlier, like by 3:00. The rush hour traffic on I-96W can be bad enough, but toss in the football traffic and vacation traffic, and there's likely to be some serious slowdowns. Most people get off at the 110 exit (Okemos), but it might not be a bad idea to get off a bit earlier at the 117 exit (Williamston) and just take Grand River Ave. (take a left at the first stoplight you come to) the rest of the way in. It'll take you straight into the heart of East Lansing. There's a couple of parking ramps downtown (just a block north off of Grand River.) One of them has these brightly colored tubes on the outside. Locals think it looks like something to be used by a very large hamster.

Boise, Idaho
3. Re: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

Thanks for the directions . We are saving a different day for Henry Ford, so may check out the other place you suggested. Thank you.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
4. Re: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

Paula: I would actually head straight to Lansing early in the day. Take a tour of the State Capitol building. It is beautiful and a lesson in governmental restraint in spending (the state set a budget and stuck to it in building the Capitol.) The Michigan Historical Museum is indeed a treasure. Mid-afternoon, head to East Lansing and park in one of the ramps referenced by Daniel. Have dinner at Dublin Square (an early dinner) then wander into the beautiful campus. You will be on Abbott Road. Enter the campus at the Union Building. Go into the Union Building and get an ice cream cone at the MSU Dairy Store. Wander through to Beaumont Tower. Enjoy the botanical gardens near the Library. Take some crackers and feed the ducks at the rapids on the Red Cedar River. Cross the river and you will be at Spartan Stadium. Enjoy a Spartan football game. (You can also wait outside and watch the marching band march in).

It sounds like such a great day to me that I wish I could do it today! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Moms

Boise, Idaho
5. Re: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

Thank you for the suggestions for the local area highlights. We are visiting Michigan to watch our team play the Spartans on that evening, so a MSU game is certainly on the itinerary! We like to see local treasures when we travel for games, so the suggestions are most helpful!

Lansing, Michigan
reviews: 425
6. Re: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing

Momstravel suggestions are right on as always. Highly recommend you get out of Detroit as early as possible on Friday. I live in Lansing but have to drive to Detroit about once a month. I am also a Spartan Season ticket holder.

The junction of I-96, I-696, and I-275 is terrible during rush hour on most days but the Friday before Labor Day is about as bad as it will get. You've got the combination of regular rush hour traffic, people going on vacation for Labor Day, and football traffic.

Once you get West of Howell, I-96 goes from three to two lanes. Usually this is not a problem but on game days traffic will be extremely bad as a large portion of the Spartan fan base will be driving from Detroit. Usually the traffic will move but it can be stop and go for miles.

Hope you enjoy the game and Spartan Stadium. I'm sorry you will have come all the way from Idaho to see Boise State lose :) By the way, the Spartans play on real grass instead of smurf turf.

Reply to: Things to do between Lincoln Park and East Lansing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted