We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

Which Woburn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, AZ, USA
Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

Arriving at Logan 5PM on Tuesday in late August and will take Logan express to Woburn and stay overnight. Hopefully, I can get a ride from hotel to Anderson/Woburn station to catch the Downeaster north to Portland or Brunswick depending on the car rental situation of price and availability. Ultimte destination is the Boothbay/Rockland/Camden area.

Any comment on any of my assumptions for getting from Logan out to 'downeast'? Any suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dick

6 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
1. Re: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

Why don't you rent the car in Boston and you would have that flexibility?

boston, ma
reviews: 21
2. Re: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

I assume you've looked at car rental prices because there are various fees and taxes that make renting at Logan relatively expensive so renting in Maine may save money even with train fare. Even if not, taking the train is not a bad idea. It's a nice ride and you skip a not all that interesting part of the drive to northern Maine. Your plan to take the Logan express to Woburn and get the Downeaster next day would be easily doable.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston, Massachusetts
reviews: 21
3. Re: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

The easiest would be to take the Woburn Logan Express but you can also spend sometime in Boston, too, if you want to spend the evening in the city. You can take to the subway from the airport to Boston. Then after your time in the city of Boston, you can take the commuter rail from North Station to Woburn Anderson RTC.

Enjoy!

Winchester...
reviews: 64
4. Re: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

I would just rent a car at Logan and driive north. Do you have a driver's license?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 84
5. Re: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

Remay, if the OP decides to spend the night in Boston, couldn't he just pick up the Downeaster at North Station in Boston rather than take the commuter rail to Woburn and transfer there to the Downeaster?

OP, if you don't want to spend time in Boston, your plan to take Logan Express to Woburn makes sense to me as it involves simple transfers. I'm not surprised you're finding car rental less expensive in Maine.

Edited: 6:23 pm, April 28, 2013
Winchester...
reviews: 64
6. Re: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn

I am surprised that it would be substantially cheaper to rent a car in Maine than at Logan.

Reply to: Boston to Portland Me via overnight in Woburn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woburn