We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Englewood beach for kids?

Which West Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
reviews: 9
Englewood beach for kids?

We are looking at a rental that is around the corner from Englewood beach. Would this be a good beach for a 2 year old (low tides, clear water, no waves)? Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 96
1. Re: Englewood beach for kids?

reviews here on TA say it is good for small kids, tho it seems like you also might want to look at a some of the Cape's lakes/ponds. Tides/waves are standard with ocean beaches ;-)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 19
2. Re: Englewood beach for kids?

Waves on Nantucket Sound are rare. Water is clear unless a storm has churned up seaweed and there is no way to plan for that. South Yarmouth has some lovely beaches. You might also want to visit Mayflower beach in Dennis at low tide as that is a favorite for kids. If you are going in summer though you must arrive before 10 AM to get a parking spot....a hassle I know but worth it. Alternately go sometime after 3 (after 4 or 4:30 parking is free) but make sure you go at low tide for the full effect of this tidal beach.

Yarmouth, MA
3. Re: Englewood beach for kids?

Hi saschb -

Englewood Beach is perfectly suited to toddlers. It gets virtually no waves, and rarely gets crowded. By mid-to late June the water is warm enough for little ones to splash around in, and the water is generally pretty clear. There's also a little swing set there for the young 'uns.

The beach faces out onto a small anchorage. And there's a small boat ramp, boat launch and piers right next to the beach. In the summer months, the boat ramp does get busy. But it doesn't interfere with the ability to enjoy the beach. Little kids generally get a kick out of seeing the boats.

In the evenings, families who are staying in the neighborhood like to take a walk to the beach. The kids kick/throw a ball around or play on the swings while the adults watch the sunset over Lewis Bay. It's totally cool to stand on the pier and watch the sun set to your right as the moon rises to your left.

All that said, Englewood Beach isn't the best beach in the area. It's perfectly fine, but it's small. More of a "neighborhood beach" than a destination beach.

If you'll be staying in the neighborhood, you'll also be within a few minutes of Seagull Beach. Now, that's a destination beach, IMHO. And, unless the wind is honkin' onshore (in which case, you probably wouldn't want to be on the beach anyway!), there are rarely any waves there that would be too much for a toddler to handle.

If you have any other questions about that area, please feel free to ask or to PM me. I know that neighborhood quite well.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 7:30 am, January 14, 2013
London
reviews: 29
4. Re: Englewood beach for kids?

Not sure if this is close enough for you but we stayed at Bayview cottage and it was lovely, here's my review on my sister's travel advice site jetlagandmayhem.com/planning/… the cottage was lovely and the owner even babysat for us!

Reply to: Englewood beach for kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted