We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches near West Yarmouth?

Which West Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
reviews: 23
beaches near West Yarmouth?

Staying in West Yarmouth at the end of June. Arriving on a Sunday, hopefully before noon. Any suggestion for a beach nearby that will still have room in the afternoon?

During the week, we can leave early in the morning, so would also like advice for finding a beach that might have free parking, and/ or quieter beaches that may charge fees, but are less crowded.

We have been to the National Seashore and love it, but I am new to the mid-Cape area and need advice for this area.

We prefer ocean beaches over bay beaches. Do any of the beaches in this area have good waves, or do we need to go to the National Seashore to use boogie boards?

Thanks for your help!

10 replies to this topic
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
1. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

I think the beach that you want to start with is Sea Gull beach which has 'facilities' and food service or the Bass River beach area is interesting too. These beaches charge a fee to park.

Unless conditions are unusual you will not have more than gentle wave action in Nantucket Sound and you will need to go out to the Atlantic beaches - bring a wet suit if you have one. Also, it is rare to be locked out of parking at Nauset Beach as it is a big lot. This is the Nauset Beach that is in East Orleans. You won't need to take a picnic lunch for this beach either since they have a great beach shack there, Liam's, with a wide variety of options

Boston...
reviews: 12
2. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

Seagull beach is the West Yarmouth beach. It is off Seagull Road off of South Sea Ave which is off 28. If I am not mistaken, it is the largest Yarmouth beach. It has a good sized parking lot, concessions and bathhouse. I don't know if I have ever seen the parking lot full in June, but if it is they put a sign out on 28 & South Sea. The other bigger beach in Yarmouth is Bass River and it too has a good sized parking lot, concessions and a boathouse. It also has a boat ramp. As this beach is right along Bass River, you will see a lot boats coming and going. Note, Bass River's mouth is along the jetties at the end of this beach, you are totally on Nantucket Sound. We always went to Bass River, as it was big enough to have parking 9 out of 10 times, but it is smaller than Seagull. Along the road to Bass River, South Shore Drive there is another smaller beach, Parkers River Beach which has a smaller parking lot and bathhouse and concession.

Since the beaches are on Nantucket sound, the waves are nothing like the National Seashore. When we wanted waves when I was a kid, my parents drove us down to at least Nauset in Orleans. It wasn't bad, we had fun making a day trip out of it.

I cannot remember when the parking lot fees go into effect, my guess is Memorial Day. I am not sure as to which beaches, if any, are free parking. Something makes me thing Bass Hole on the 6A side is, but hat is not the kind of beach you seem to be looking for as it is tidal and goes out quite a bit. I think you could call it a tidal creek. That said, it is pretty cool to see with the boardwalk and all.

Massachusetts
3. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

Thanks so much! We will be sure to check out Seagull and Bass River.

I appreciate knowing what the waves are like, so we could decide which direction we feel like going in. I hear that the water is warmer in Nantucket Sound. A bonus for early summer!

We have been to Nauset before. (Love Liam's onion rings!)

How close is that to West Yarmouth? From what I remember, it is very rocky so we should bring water shoes, right?

Thanks again!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
4. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

If you are driving then sure, bring everything. However I don't recall it being rocky at Nauset nor do I recall seeing folks wearing water shoes. Easy to pack though.

Yarmouth, MA
5. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

The advice you've received about Yarmouth Beaches is spot on. Seagull beach is definitely the nicest beach on the Nantucket Sound side of town.

We also have a couple free parking beaches, but they're nowhere near the quality of Seagull.

If you do want to try a free parking beach, your best bet will be Colonial Acres Beach at the end of Standish Way, off Rt. 28. The parking lot is small (maybe 20 cars, max ?). But it's a nice beach because it rarely gets crowded, you can see the boats coming in and out of Hyannis Harbor, and there's plenty of room to walk.

On the Sound side, there's rarely any wave action at all. Unless, of course, the wind is honkin onshore', in which case it's not overly pleasant to be on the beach anyway.

Re Nauset Beach, it generally takes me about a half hour to drive there from West Yarmouth. And no, I don't think of Nauset as a rocky beach - as opposed, for example, to Sandy Neck in Sandwich/Barnstable which is incredibly "pebbly" from the high tide line out about 20 feet or so.

On the Cape Cod Bay side of town, Bass Hole Beach (a/k/a Gray's Beach) is just as marathon1231 described it. parking is free at bass Hole Beach, and it is definitely worth going there to walk the boardwalk and see the sun set over the Bay.

Finally, if you're looking for "real" waves, the Ocean is where you'll want to be. Just keep in mind that the water temp at the Ocean beaches in June is downright frigid ...

Massachusetts
6. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

Thanks so much! This is so helpful.

We love to explore new beaches. It's nice to have options closeby whether we just want to take a walk , or decide to spend the day.

We've been to Race Point for spectacular sunsets. Where is a good spot for sunsets in the mid-Cape area?

Boston...
reviews: 27
7. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

Mayflower Beach in West Dennis. People clap after the sun sets since its such a great show!

Yarmouth, MA
8. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

The boardwalk at Bass Hole Beach, as I said above. Also, Rock Harbor and Skaket Beach - both in Orleans.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
9. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

Re: post #7. Just to clarify, beautiful Mayflower Beach is on the Cape Cod bay side and located in the village of Dennis. Long West Dennis beach fronts Nantucket Sound and is in the village of West Dennis. Confusing right? Why did they name everything the same anyway? How about the town of Barnstable in the county of Barnstable?

Westchester, New...
10. Re: beaches near West Yarmouth?

Mayflower is a beautiful beach, but even in June you may have difficulty on a good beach day finding a parking spot-they may be nonexistent or you may have a long wait for one. At high tide, the beach can be very crowded---it you do go, low tide is the best.

Reply to: beaches near West Yarmouth?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted