We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation to the cape

Which West Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Murfreesboro...
5 posts
vacation to the cape

The wife and self are doing a timeshare exchange with 6 yr old grandson Oct 1-8. We want to spend 1 day in NYC by driving the rental car to north of city, getting a 1 night room, and catching a train or subway to visit Manhatten, then back to the cape late in the day. You guys have any advise for this day trip?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,707 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: vacation to the cape

This sounds like a 3 or 4 day trip to NYC. Sorry but the only advice I have is just to stay on the Cape and enjoy that. OR did you mean that you wanted to visit Boston as a day-trip? That would make much more sense.

Murfreesboro...
5 posts
2. Re: vacation to the cape

thanks for reply - so you think a visit to 9/11 memorial with a 1 night stay somewhere near the city is too much for our week at the cape? I am ok with that in reguards to having fun with grandson on the beach and wife wanting to search clam shacks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,707 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: vacation to the cape

I reread your initial message. I guess that (without traffic) you could make it to a hotel in about 6 hours straight driving one day. The next day after riding into the city, touring around, riding back out, would you then be alert enough for another 6 hours straight behind the wheel. It's not my idea of fun but then I know lots of folks who enjoy driving trips so I won't presume to tell you.

When you are on the Cape be sure to take your grandson over to Baxter's Boathouse ON the harbor, dine in the casual side and watch the boats come and go from their dock.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
1 review
4. Re: vacation to the cape

I have a feeling that your 6 year old is not going to get much out of the New York trip. Stay on the Cape and do the New York trip in a few years when he can appreciate it.

5. Re: vacation to the cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 28, 2013