We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Boston from Waltham by public transport

Which Waltham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai
reviews: 21
Traveling to Boston from Waltham by public transport

I'll be staying with my son at Stearns Hill Rd. for 2 weeks in August. Much appreciate travel guidelines to tourist attractions in the city. i don't intend driving and would like to use trains and buses. Travel time is not a big consideration as that gives me a chance to watch the scenery. Can easily walk up to 2 miles to board transport, provided it is considered safe to walk!

Thanks for all the help

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 57
1. Re: Traveling to Boston from Waltham by public transport

You can take the commuter rail (train) Fitchburg line from Brandeis or Waltham stations and switch to the red line (subway) at Porter Square or stay on the train all the way to North Station which is downtown. Once there you'll be able to take the green or orangs lines (subway) to other parts of the city. You can look at www.mbta.com for the train schedule and more info.

I don't know how you'll get to the train station in Waltham. There are buses in Waltham, but I can't find one that runs near Stearns Hill Road, The "trip planner" section of www.mbta.com does not permit you to specify a walking distance of more than a mile and it can't plan the trip, leading me to believe that no bus stop is with in a mile of your starting address. Perhaps you son knows of a bus that can get you to the train station or you can always call a local taxi company to drive you,

There's lots to see and do in Boston. Check out other people's trip reports on this forum, and look at "thinks to do" on the top left of this screen for ideas. Tell us what you like (history, art, shopping?) and we may be able to direct you a bit.

Edited: 6:57 am, August 02, 2010
boston, ma
reviews: 24
2. Re: Traveling to Boston from Waltham by public transport

There are also local (rtes 70 and 70A) and express (rtes 553, 554, and others) buses between Waltham and Boston. Check the MBTA website, www.mbta.com for maps and schedules. These can be a good supplement, but the train is probably the best way to travel. Express buses tend to run mainly during rush hours and the local service is slow (It's a long route.).

Chennai
reviews: 21
3. Re: Traveling to Boston from Waltham by public transport

Thanks for the detailed advice. My main interests are arts and science museums and nature in any form including zoos. Is this a season for whale watching? Wonder if there are farms and orchards in the area that allow visitors?

4. Re: Traveling to Boston from Waltham by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 30, 2011