We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

My family is excited to finally do a "real" Cape Cod vacation after a few summers enjoying a relative's cottage on the South Shore. We found a cute little cottage on Rt. 6A almost at the border of N. Truro and Provincetown, right in the Beach Point area. We are right on the beach, and I have a question about my plan for July 4.

I know there's a parade in Provincetown, that they have great fireworks, and that there's a shuttle that will go right by our cottage. My plan is to flag down the shuttle to take us to P'town in the morning, enjoy the parade, sightsee until the crowds bother us, return to our cottage on the shuttle, hang out on the beach all afternoon, and watch the fireworks from the beach that evening.

My question: Is this a good plan? Is there something I should know about the shuttle or the location of the fireworks that would make any part of this unlikely or unpleasant? Is there anything to add to this plan that would make the day even better?

My family is small - just me, my husband, and our 8yo daughter. We will have our car, and we will use it to visit P'town on a less touristy day, but I figure the shuttle may be more convenient on July 4. Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 105
1. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

It sounds fine to me. The fireworks are in the harbor so you should have a good view of them from Beach Point. The parade is a relatively small affair, but rather uniquely Provincetown with local organizations and sometimes summer entertainers taking part. I don't think there should be any problem with shuttle.

When you drive to downtown Provincetown you would be better off taking Bradford Street (Route 6A) all the way in rather than Commercial Street which is usually jammed with people who resent the cars. Duarte's parking lot on Bradford just before Standish Street is the best place to look for a parking place.

ptownchamber.com/tips-for-visitors/parking/

www.capecodtransit.org/ptown-route.htm…

ptownchamber.com/directions/getting-around/

cape cod
2. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

Sounds like a good idea! Have a fun time! :)

Winchester...
reviews: 64
3. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

We used to watch the fireworks on the fourth from N. Truro years ago, at what is now part of the Top Mast resort, I think. Many pleasant memories. You won't be super close to the fireworks but it's a good view and a lot of fun.

4. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

Thank you, everyone! My husband and I are neither parade people nor fireworks people, but we've been known to enjoy both when they're low key. We were really just hoping to keep the traditions for our daughter, who will probably love watching fireworks on "her" beach. And the only 4th of July parade we've ever gone to is a kid's bike parade in my childhood neighborhood. A few floats and local entertainment will be plenty of excitement for us!

Howland, thanks for the parking advice. I'm starting to realize that Provincetown will be something of a novelty. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Long Island, NY
reviews: 49
5. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

As an additional suggestion, if you have bikes or would like to rent them, that would be a great way of getting between Ptown and Truro. It's not a lone ride. When I vacation in Ptown I love to bike down Commercial along 6A in Truro. It's a beautiful ride.

I know there is a bike rental place right next to Lobster Pot which would be convenient for you.

6. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

Thanks Elementz! We're definitely planning on a bit of hiking and biking while we're there. I hadn't realized the bike rental place was so close to the Lobster Pot. This place just gets better and better!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 105
7. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

Since this will be your first visit to Provincetown you might want to take a tour on the Trolley. I thought that I knew it all, but learned some interesting things when I took the trolley ride.

http://www.provincetowntrolley.com/

Art's Dune Tours is also a wonderful way to see parts of the town that you would not usually get to see.

http://www.artsdunetours.com/

8. Re: July 4 in N. Truro/Provincetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2014