We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Sandwich Sunsets?

Enfield, Connecticut
reviews: 4
East Sandwich Sunsets?

I stayed in Eastham a few years ago, and enjoyed evening walks on the beach watching the sunset over the bay. This year I am staying in East Sandwich, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the views of the sunset will be the same?

9 replies to this topic
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
1. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

Head to the water, face west and voila! I especially recommend that you visit the Sandwich boardwalk out over the marsh to the beach. Really nice at any time and especially delightful at sunset.

reviews: 12
2. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

Hmmm, I live in Eastham so have never witnessed a sunset from Sandwich but my instincts tell me that they are not quite the same. Eastham is only 3 miles wide and faces due east on the ocean side and due west on the bay side, making for spectacular sunrises and sunsets, both over the water. Sandwich has a different orientation, with shoreline that faces north east toward the bay. Not sure you will see what you are looking for from Sandwich. Perhaps someone who has more knowledge of the immediate area can make a suggestion.

Enfield, Connecticut
reviews: 4
3. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

Call me geographically challenged, but that's where my dilemna is coming from. If anyone is familiar with East Sandwich, could you tell me when you are on the beach, does the sun appear to set over the water or does it set over land?

yellowbird, you are so lucky to live in Eastham. Truly amazing sunsets there!

Bonaire
reviews: 137
4. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

IMHO it would be land..I work in E. S but never saw a sunset there..I have from Bass Hole in Y Port, Corporation Beach too..the only water sunset I have seen is from Duck Harbour in Wellfleet...

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
5. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

Well we've watched the sunset over the water on Mayflower Beach and that is also a beach that faces north. Less recently we were on the boardwalk at Sandwich at sunset but don't recall the beach since the view over the marsh there is the star imho.

Edited: 2:26 pm, August 02, 2011
Boston...
6. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

I think you can have nice views and light at sunset from Sandwich but I can't think you'll see the sun setting on the water, I can't imagine how that could happen. East is Bourne and Plymouth.

You have to go to Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, and P-town for the sun setting into the water.

reviews: 12
7. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

Ahh, jjgrace, there are many reasons for me to be thankful for living and working in Eastham (I am the innkeeper at Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast on Fort Hill) but the glorious sunrises and moon rises over Nauset Marsh and the Atlantic as seen from Fort Hill and the sunsets viewed from any of the Bay beaches in Eastham are pretty high on the list! I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has actually seen the sunset over the bay in E. Sandwich.

Charlie, I can see that at the time of the summer solstice at the beginning of July the sun might set far enough west to catch a glimpse of it along the north-western edge of Mayflower Beach. But in August we are heading back to the equinox with shorter days and sun sets more to the east/south east. Whaddya think? :-) Sound reasonable to you?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
8. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

Don't forget Orleans, at Rock Harbor and Skaket Beach. Accompanied by music at Rock Harbor on occasion. Plus some applause!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
9. Re: East Sandwich Sunsets?

I'm not so scientific Yellowbird but I'll study this strictly empirically later this month.

Reply to: East Sandwich Sunsets?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East Sandwich