We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay without a car

Which Dennis Port hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
Best place to stay without a car

Hello,

I would like to make a short trip to Cape Cod from Boston end July. Purpose: just relax on a beach, rent a bicycle.

I'll be visiting from Toronto, and I don't have a car, so I rely on public transportation. I know there's a bus Boston-Hyannis.

I've heard about Dennisport, but it's diffucult to get there without a car. Is Hyannis my best bet? For some reason, I'm half-hearted about it.

Any suggestions? Thx

reviews: 12
1. Re: Best place to stay without a car

First I suggest you take a look at the Top Questions section to the right. There has been a lot of discussion about traveling to Cape Cod on this board so your question has been answered many times.

You are a perfect candidate to take a ferry from Boston to Provincetown. Once in P-town you can bike, walk, use the beach shuttle, or take the Flex bus to other towns on the outer cape.

Here is a good site for your transportation questions. www.smartguide.org/capecod/land-links.html

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Best place to stay without a car

Yes, I've seen the posting about a ferry to Provincetown. But I do not want to stay there. I thought Hyannis because there's a better communication with Dennisport.

Thank you for the link on transportation.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
3. Re: Best place to stay without a car

When you say a short trip do you mean for one day or several. I agree with Yellowbird that the ferry to Provincetown would work for you.

What's so important about Dennisport if I may ask?

Edited: 1:41 pm, June 30, 2011
4. Re: Best place to stay without a car

Dennisport is a great destination for a family with small children who have a car. For a single person traveling to Cape Cod with out a car there is not much there, IMO. What have you heard about Dennisport that makes you think it is the best location for your short Cape Cod trip from Boston?

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Best place to stay without a car

I mean a couple of nights. Dennisport just because my friends stayed there, and recommended some accommodations. I looked it up on the web, and I like it. But I wouldn't want to spend the whole day just to get there..

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
6. Re: Best place to stay without a car

Dennisport is not a good place to stay. there is a bus that travels between towns on the cape but there is no easy way to get to beaches if you stay on 28 or to lodging if you stay anywhere else.

Falmouth may be a better idea as it is possible to find places to stay within walking distance of a beach but I have never tried this without a car. It may actually be easier (not shorter) to go to MV and stay, although more expensive than to stay on CC

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Best place to stay without a car

I have read the previous posts on the subject, and it does seem that w/o a car there aren't many options on CC. So far, I can see two options: arriving by ferry to Provincetown. I could rend a bicycle, visit Race Point Beach. Or I could take the bus Boston-Hyannis, then a taxi to Falmouth, or go to MV.

I have to look at the costs, though...

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
8. Re: Best place to stay without a car

option is not bus to hyannis, then taxi rather bus all the way to woods hole and very cheap ferry to MV. cost start to accrue when you reach MV

9. Re: Best place to stay without a car

Since you do not want to stay in Provincetown, have you looked at the FLEX bus schedule? The Flex bus is very inexpensive and, for an extra couple of dollars, will take you up to 1 mile off its normal route. Wellfleet might work well for you since you could take the ferry to Provincetown and then take the Flex to Wellfleet. The Flex bus is a partnership between the National Seashore and RTA bus. It will bring you to beaches and the towns on the outer cape including Wellfleet and Orleans.

Really, going to Dennisport with out a car is not such a great idea if you want to experience Cape Cod. There are lots of great lodging choices from one end of the cape to the other.

Bangkok, Thailand
10. Re: Best place to stay without a car

Personally I would just go to Mexico (if i were single). Better value IMO.

Get answers to your questions about Dennis Port