We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

Which Brewster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amersham, United...
Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

We are a party of 9 from the UK, including two young children, who are renting a house in Brewster for last two weeks of August. We last visited the Cape in 2006 and remember shopping for groceries etc. at various Stop and Shop supermarkets and found them to be quite good. However from various reviews seen lately the standards of this chain seemed to have dropped. Can anyone suggest where we could go for groceries - say within 5-10 miles of Brewster?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 105
1. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

I haven't seen any decline, but you could try Shaws, 9 West Road in Orleans.

cape cod
2. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

Most of the stop and shops are very good, many have been expanded even, I find them to be good. Shaw's is also good.

You can also stop in at the market basket, just when you come over the bridge, for some great prices.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
3. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

What do you mean by standards? Quality of food, cleanliness, staff? Prices? We shop at Shaw's in Orleans because it is the closest market to our house. Also shop at Stop and Shop in Orleans and sometimes Friends in Orleans when I want a bottle of wine, the only supermarket to sell alcohol in the area.

Amersham, United...
4. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

Thank you all for your replies - we will be visiting Stop & Shop again as well as trying Shaws. Thanks for the tip about being able to buy wine in Friends. Looking forward very much to our return to the Cape, it's been too long since our last visit.

South Chatham, MA
5. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

I'd suspect that the Stop&Shop in E Harwich at Rt 137/Rt 39 may be closest to Brewster..at least it is for some friends who live there...

And..make sure at checkout to have them use/swipe a store card so that you get the weekly special prices..you may just say that you "forgot my card" and they'll do it...we, as regular shoppers, use them to accumulate rewards points for gas but you'll not likely be here long enough to benefit by having your own.

Winchester...
reviews: 64
6. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

I don't know where Brewster is, but generally speaking only spendthrifts shop at Stop and Shop. Market Basket is where everybody shops. Shaws has nearly gone out of business. We often wonder how Stop and Shop stays in business, their prices are so much higher than Market Basket.

Boston...
reviews: 119
7. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

Unfortunately we don't all have the luxury of going to market basket Thomas. ;) I'm not driving to Brockton to go grocery shopping. That's the closest one to me. I like Stop and Shop. I think Shaws is a dump for the most part. If I could afford it, I'd shop at Whole Foods. But, that is way too expensive. lol.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
8. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

Price isn't everything. Quality surely plays some part in where you choose to shop. In addition I am not going to drive from Orleans to shop at Market Basket. Nothing wrong with Shaw's in Orleans or Stop and Shop. I can't say that I'm into doing a lot of price comparing. Furthermore I am not going to waste hours of my time on vacation driving all over the Cape looking for so called bargains.

Winchester...
reviews: 64
9. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

I thought this thread was posted in the Boston forum and wondered why someone was asking about supermarkets in Brewster, wherever that is. Probably in the deep south.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
10. Re: Best supermarkets for food/household supplies

It was posted in the Brewster forum which is in the Lower Cape area. Orleans is the adjoining town with, probably, the nearest large shopping area. The only Market Basket on the Cape is near the Sagamore Bridge as you come on to the bridge. About a 45 or more minutes from Brewster.

Edited: 11:55 pm, August 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Brewster