We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

Which Rockville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St.Albans
3 posts
Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

We're visiting from the UK later in October. We have to use public transport and our feet to get around. Are there any convenience stores or good cheap restaurants withing walking distance of the hotel please?

Luke

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

Assuming you mean the Hilton (formerly the Doubletree) on Rockville Pike--you are well situated for both walking and transit. Rockville Pike is a very busy commercial strip with stores and good restaurants in all price ranges within an easy walk of the hotel.

There is a 7-Eleven convenience store 1/3 mile away, but I wouldn't recommend for pricing, selection or quality when you also have several excellent groceries also in walking distance.

The largest of these is Giant Food, which is in a large shopping center (Flagship) 1/2 mile at the end of Chapman Avenue. Among the other stores in the shopping center are a Target department store and one of my favorite cheap/good restaurants, Original Ambrosia is one of my favorites, with Greek specialities in addition to a diner-type menu.

http://www.theoriginalambrosia.com

Across Rockville Pike in another shopping center (Congressional) with a Whole Foods supermarket. Good fast-casual cheap restaurants in this shopping center are Noodles & Co., Baja Fresh and Lebanese Taverna. There is also a full-service Armand's Pizza.

In Federal Plaza, there is a Trader Joe's grocery. Much smaller than the Giant, but with high-quality products (some fairly unique) and excellent pricing and service. The Italian restaurant (Mamma Lucia) is excellent, but it isn't what I'd consider cheap when compared to the others listed in this post.

As for other restaurants:

Washingtonian Magazine publishes a list of their favorite good, cheap restaurants which is available online. Here is their listing for Maryland:

washingtonian.com/articles/…12885.html

Some good Asian restaurants from the list are walking distance from Hilton: A&J, Joe's Noodle House. Near the Rockville Metro (one stop away) are Bob's Noodle 66 and Pho 75.

Other good/cheap eats not on the list and walking distance:

Urban Barbecue: http://www.urbanbbqco.com

Mi Rancho (Mexican): http://www.miranchotexmexrestaurant.com

Hope this helps--if there's a specific cuisine you're looking for or be more specific about what you consider to be "cheap," I can expand on this. Feel free to PM me.

If you'll be traveling between Washington and Rockville on the Metro, the options expand exponentially by hopping off at stops such as Bethesda before you reach the hotel.

St.Albans
3 posts
2. Re: Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

Tubman - that is the most comprehensive, useful and thoughtful reply to any query post I have ever made anywhere! I do thank you so much.

Yes, it is the "old" Doubletree" (New Hilton). I have stayed there before on business but this time will be for pleasure with some of the family. We chose it because of its proximity to the metro red line into DC and its (relative) cheapness. We are all fit and can walk half a mile no problem. By convenience store I meant one which stays open late into the night for "essentials" like milk, bread tea bags and coffee! However we will certainly make use of the other stores you mention and possibly invstigate those further down the metro line.

Unfortunately we wil only have two full days in DC as we have to get a train back to Philadelphia airport for our flight back to the UK. (I had business meetings in Lancaster earlier in the trip). The trains from Union station seem good and reliable.

My only fear is crossing the Rockville Pike for the other shops but I think I remember a pedestrian crossing point with traffic lights near the hotel.

Thank you so much again for your post - we are now much more confident about our stay!

Luke

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

Just for everyone's future information......lists of the nearest businesses of various kinds, to any given location in the USA, and those businesses' EXACT DISTANCE in tenths of a mile from that location, can easily be researched on the website "YAHOO YELLOW PAGES."

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

Hard to beat Google Maps and their satellite view IMHO.

http://tinyurl.com/ye53cm7

St.Albans
3 posts
5. Re: Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

Hi Tubman

Just to thank you again for your excellent advice on shopping/dining around the Hilton Rockville. We have now returned to the UK and can think back to a memorable stay made all the less stressful knowing that we could eat well without paying the hotel meal prices!

Thanks again and if you come to the UK give me a call!

Peter (Peter@fardell.com)

6. Re: Convenience store near Hilton Double tree?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 27, 2010