We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No foul language!!

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
No foul language!!

Thought this was an interesting article. I don't go to the boardwalk during the summer months but from what I hear it has gotten really bad. I realize it has no teeth to put up signs, but it couldn't hurt. I'm sure 90% of the offenders wouldn't even notice them but if it keeps one kid from dropping F-bombs in front of little children I think it is worth the effort. What say you?

mdcoastdispatch.com/2014/…

Johnstown...
reviews: 21
11. Re: No foul language!!

With regard to the saggy pants law in Wildwood, it's more than just a suggestion. If they find someone who's pants are three or more inches below their waste, the police will first tell them to pull them up and if they don't comply, they will be fined up to $200.00 and also must perform 40 hours of community service.

Ashley, Pennsylvania
reviews: 58
12. Re: No foul language!!

I would hope the parents get more involved.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 65
13. Re: No foul language!!

BBear.........that's a wonderful idea!! I hope OC adopts it as well! Even here in J-town it's a problem. There was a family who rented next door to me for about 4 months and the guy was washing his car one day......one handed! The other hand was holding up his pants! LOL

Johnstown...
14. Re: No foul language!!

Momoo,

I think it's a great idea, too!!! And, I know all too well how saggy pants are a problem in Johnstown...I was eating lunch in Central Park and a young man walked past and his pants fell to his ankles and he tripped and fell over them...too funny!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
15. Re: No foul language!!

How sad that this has become such a problem. I hear elementary school kids spewing cuss words often. They're probably emulating their role models.

T-shirts can certainly be offensive, but at least to some extent, we can choose not to read or look at them.

It's much harder to ignore something that's spoken loudly or shouted.

The cost of signage can't be much. Why not give it a try? After all, not everyone knows that this sort of thing is practically unenforceable. And I wonder how many parents would fight it if their minor child was cited in some way for shouting cuss words? But then again, if parents are unable to instill rudimentary rules of common decency in their offspring, how can we expect society (or the police) to do any better?

Johnstown...
16. Re: No foul language!!

Well said, Daddio!

My parents did not tolerate cussing and the threat of washing mine and my siblings mouths out with soap was enough for us not to do so even out of earshot of them.

Maybe if parents of today would do the same we'd have much less cussing...then again in today's world they're liable to be brought up on threat or child abuse charges if they'd do that.

Macungie...
reviews: 218
17. Re: No foul language!!

This is something that has to do woth their basic upbringing, no sign is going to change that. If a kid grows up and thinks cussing is okay seeing a sign with a suggestion on it at best will do nothing, at worse it will make them do it even more since they won't believe it can be enforced. If their parents never taught them cussing in public is wrong no one else ever will.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 65
18. Re: No foul language!!

The key with dealing with kids who will curse on the boardwalk just to defy the sign is to just ignore them. They do it to get a reaction. Just like little kids. If nobody pays attention to them, they'll stop. It's just hard being an adult to put up with it and not want to slap them silly! LOL

Macungie...
reviews: 218
19. Re: No foul language!!

LOL Very true

20. Re: No foul language!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 15, 2015