We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ellicott City...
reviews: 44
Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

OK, I understand when Fishers and Thrashers can get rated #1 restaurant or in top 10 because people view them as real good in their area of expertise. But the Lankford #1, above the Hilton. Yes I realize it was on Hotel Impossible, but unless they put lots of money into it, they only remodeled one room. There must be ways of dealing with this, short of "reporting" every person that recently gave it a 5 star rating. The Lankford doesn't belong even in the top 20, let alone at #1.

Edited: 4:28 pm, October 21, 2013
Martinsburg, West...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

It seems like all the people with just the 1 review came out of the woodwork for the Lankford after it was on Hotel Impossible. I'm always leery of a great review for a place when it's the only place they have reviewed.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 65
2. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

That, and the fact that we all KNOW how the Lankford REALLY is.

Ocean City, Maryland
reviews: 4
3. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

The Lankford has had a large and loyal following for many years and I'm sure they were all just casting a vote of confidence for the " ol' girl".

And...........do tell us how the "Lankford really is ".....I'm sure a "destination expert" from PA has the straight scoop.

Edited: 7:49 am, October 22, 2013
Delaware
4. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

This often happens on Trip Advisor. It is usually started on facebook or some other social media. The owners/managers will get everybody to post a great review. I am not saying that happened in this case but if all of a sudden there is a ton of first time reviewers coming on then that is a red flag.

And OCbeachbob, for a Tripadvisor "destination expert" you seem to have little patience lately with anyone that doesn't agree with your opinion. Lighten up. Anyone that visits this site regularly knows that momoo is a great contributor. There is a way to ask her to explain herself without insulting her.

Ellicott City...
reviews: 44
5. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Getting people "to cast a vote of confidence" towards a place like the Lankford does a great disservice to people that are trying to use this site for its intended use. Yes, I realize you can't believe everything you read on the net and stuff like that, but you would figure that the #1 rated hotel in Ocean City would at least be better then the type of place the Lankford is. This type of rating shows the flaws in the system that TripAdvisor and other similar sites have.

The Lankford could be in a top ten if you are only comparing similar prices and aged hotels like the Lankford, the Atlantic, the Magestic, the Admiral, etc., but when you factor in the big chains it isn't even in the same ballpark.

Edited: 10:44 am, October 22, 2013
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 65
6. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

All I meant by my comment is that the Lankford is old, needs remodeled desperately, and definitely wouldn't be considered the best hotel in OC in my book. Yes it's an OC landmark, but it's NOT the newest or the best. I'm not sure how it got voted number 1. And yes, I've been through the hotel. It really does need a lot of help. And anyone who watched the Hotel Impossible show saw how much work it needs. But there are those who like "old school" hotels like this or it wouldn't still be there. But not #1.

Binghamton, New York
reviews: 14
7. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

I believe the Lankford after getting chewed out on that show for being primitive realized the value of internet sites. Anyways, I believe they reached out to their loyal followers to write a review on trip advisor and obviously the followers did as told.

Binghamton, New York
reviews: 14
8. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Here is their facebook post

Lankford Hotel

September 26 near Ocean City, MD

Well, I just have to tell everyone how excited I am. As I checked my emails I saw we had a new post on Trip Advisor. As some of you may know I reached out to all of our Lankford Hotel families to post a rating which would help us get a better ranking because I knew we were better than #67 which is where we started. So, as I went on this morning thanks to people continuing to rate us we are now #2 in Ocean City! Can you believe it!? Now, I will say, with our lack of amenities and out dated rooms I don't really believe that we are the second best hotel Ocean City in terms of nicest hotels, I can be honest, but, with our location, affordability, cleanliness and great staff I do think we are pretty darn good. So, I just have to thank everyone again for posting. It means a lot to us that you all really appreciate what we do. Now, with the show having aired and our season coming to a close we will be able to get on the updating of units this winter and hopefully next summer a lot of you will have a whole new unit. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

As a business owner I think this was genius on their part. As a tourist if I didnt know oc like I do and saw this was the top rated joint and I chose it, I might be a little disappointed.

Macungie...
reviews: 219
9. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

They did what a lot of places are doing getting their regular customers to get on here and get them a good review. Or as many have done get places with horible ratings to even get friends family and even employees to create an account and give it a great review. It is more likely that someone with a bad review will take the time to register and leave a comment then do that for a good review. In retail they always tell you a person with a good review will tell 1 person, a person with a bad one will tell 10 people. This shows how sites like this can be easily manipulated.

Delaware
10. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Thanks for the headsup mmazz. That is exactly what I was talking about in #4. That is why I ALWAYS try to go to the forums and get information from the experts rather than just trust the reviews.

It is also a reason that I cringe when someone comes on this forum for information and others just tell them to "read the reviews". People spend a lot of their discretionary income on vacations. Now more than ever they need proper guidance. Fortunately, in this day and age it is available, but you really need to do your homework.