We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbridge, Virginia
reviews: 5
One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

Hi, i would like to visit Ocean City within the next 2-3 weeks.On a Sunday .Its about 3 hrs and we were thinking to do a one day trip to avoid high hotel costs.I am still thinking of a hotel,but not sure if i can find one thats 10 mins away or less around $130??

We have 2 adults and 3 kids.One is a baby 15 mths old.

Any ideas on hotels would be awesome.

Next would be my questions if we did a one day.

We plan on getting to the beach around 10 am.....what is it like and whats the situation for rinsing off /changing afterwards .

Where are good place to get lunch ,and what other activities should we do after the beach , i am thinking we should be done at the beach around 1-2 pm.

Any tips,advice or info will be greatly appreciated.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 60
1. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

My advice is to come before Labor Day if you want to do rides, etc. because they close on Labor Day and then open on weekends through the middle of October.

There are NO public showers or changing stations, just rinse off showers in the public restrooms and you are not permitted to change clothes there. So I would definitely do an overnight.

Hotel Week is August 18-29 (I know it's more than one week) so you'll find good bargains during that time. Check www.ocean-city.com , enter your date in the boxes on the right hand side (yellow) and scroll down to where it says "search all rates" then click that. It will bring up a list of all availability and the prices. You should have no trouble finding something in y our budget. Even if you stay across the Rte 50 bridge in West Ocean City, you might find a room in your budget.

I suggest checking the Dunes Motel on 27th St., the Spinnaker on 18th St. , the Flamingo , or even the Econolodge (it's the number 1 in the country!) in addition to the ones that come up on the previous website.

Hopefully, it will still be nice and hot. Until Labor Day, you will be able to rent beach chairs and an umbrella from the blue boxes that line the beach. We used to bring a small blow up pool for our little ones to put up beside our chairs. We'd add a couple buckets of sea water which warms up very quickly in the sun, and the babies and toddlers would play happily in that when they weren't driving us nuts at the ocean's edge. lol For family friendly lunches, you'll have no problem. I suggest that once you get your hotel set up, come back on here and we can tell you places that are close by and easy access from your hotel.

As for rides, etc. the rides on the boardwalk and pier are geared for kids that are older than 6 or so, but there is another option. Trimper's Rides has an indoor ride area where the rides are for the younger ones. There is also an antique carousel inside. It's right on the boardwalk at the lower end. You can't miss it. And there are plenty of games and arcades to make the kids happy playing and trying to win a souvenir. Bring lots of $$.

I hope that helps you a little bit. But if you think of more things, come back and ask.

Edited: 6:24 pm, August 13, 2013
Northumberland...
reviews: 52
2. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

I agree, we like the dunes motel. You can get mini apt that are ocean front or a pool side rm thats a bit cheaper. Its right on the boardwalk but at the end so its quiet and right by the tram if you want to ride that. You may find alot of the hotels there have a 2-3 night min. If you have the room in the car id say bring an umbrella or buy one at a sunsations( 20.00 to buy vs paying to rent each day then youl have it for next time) also agree a blow up kids pool or little boat to put water in and let them splash and keep cool.

Lunch or dinner with kids

Fish tales serves kids food on a frisbee and has a play area

Salty dogs serves kids in a dog dish

Dead freddies has a kids play area

Brass balls serves kids in a sand bucket

Mini golf would be nice to do also

Martinsburg, West...
reviews: 51
3. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

Here is another website I've booked at that is good for comparing prices for certain dates even if you don't book there www.ocisfree.com If you go over to Assateague there are places there you can rinse off & change I think but I'm not positive. I remember seeing bath houses there I believe but I'm not sure where I saw them. There are 2 different places to go in & a fee for each, but it's not much at all. If you are staying Sunday night checking out Monday on Aug 25 the rates seem to be cheaper than the week before & after. Have fun on your trip.

Joppa, MD
reviews: 40
4. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

I agree with the other posters. We've done day trips but only with adults or older children. The poster above said you can't change...I didn't know that and we did change but even as adults, the bathrooms aren't the cleanest and the stalls are small. If you have young children, I would definitely do an overnight so you can get them cleaned up and fed without any hassle. You would think there would be more public places you can change and get cleaned up but unfortunately there are not. And once you get there you will want to stay past 1 or 2. The rides and boardwalk are always best in the evenings when its not as hot, and they are a must if you come to OC. The only problem as others said, if you do weekend many hotels require two night stays. What we usually do when we want to stay cheap is do a Saturday and Sunday trip because Sunday is considered a weekday and alot cheaper then staying Friday and Saturday. Since Sunday is weekday you might even be able to find just a Sunday. As far as eating, there are tons to choose from, but if you are on a budget like we are, our favorite is just head to the boardwalk where everyone can pick their own thing, and we just find a bench or table and enjoy. Have fun!

Woodbridge, Virginia
5. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

Thanks for the replies.....i am checking out hotels ...any opinions on Bonita and Flagship??

Also what area should we focus on thats not going to be as crowded ?I know the entire beach area will be occupied,but looking for the least crowded area.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 60
6. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

I've stayed at Bonita Beach and it's nice. It's newer, but at least 10 years old. It's on the highway, so ask for a room towards the beach side of the hotel. Their pool is outdoor and elevated above the parking lot. You'll have to drive to the boardwalk or take the bus, but that's not really an issue. There's plenty of parking on the streets, back streets, and at the inlet. And it's only a very short walk to the beach. This area will definitely be less crowded than where the Flagship is. And like I said, be sure to check out the Econolodge. It is the last hotel in OC before crossing into Fenwick and the beach is very quiet here.

I've never stayed at the Flagship.

You can check the reviews of each hotel on Trip Advisor. .

Woodbridge, Virginia
7. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

I went ahead and booked with Bonita :)

It was $109 with taxes and fees on Expedia for the date i choose in August so a great deal.....2 queen and i am thinking a sofa bed so it will be accommodating for our family even without the sofa bed,but i am hoping for one.

Now any suggestions on great food ,reasonable prices?? Also what else in the area we must visit? This is our first trip to OC and i am excited!!

Edited: 10:16 pm, August 16, 2013
8. Re: One day with kids ...Hotel or one day..questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 18, 2014