We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old School OC

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
akron, oh
reviews: 14
Old School OC

is anyone on the forum old enough to help me remember the pizza joint on the boardwalk that had a counter with short stools in the front area and dining in the back? i want to say it was ponzettis? i worked at the beach each summer while in high school in Towson but then moved to Ohio for college and didnt go back until it was gone. that was my favorite, loved to watch the guys toss the dough up in the air.... i also remember the Irish House Bar on the Boardwalk which played really loud irish music and a place called the Lackawana on Baltimore at maybe Dorchester or so. Great little hole in the wall to eat. This was early 70"s.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
1. Re: Old School OC

I go back to the 80's. I remember the waterside park on the boardwalk with the really tall, steep waterslide. I went down it once and the water felt like concrete.

akron, oh
2. Re: Old School OC

it was really fun to stand on pier and watch all you people sliding down that scary thing. never saw anyone fly off it but always expected it!

York, PA
reviews: 68
3. Re: Old School OC

How about the haunted house that used to be on the pier?!? That was crazy! And the water slide, I loved watching people go on that!

Maryland
reviews: 11
4. Re: Old School OC

lynda...it may have been ponzetti's, or you may be thinking of tony's......as to the irish bar, it was mcgee's for a few years and is now, i believe, shenanigan's.

Hanover, Pa
reviews: 40
5. Re: Old School OC

Tony's is still there and the Haunted House on the pier

Ocean City, Maryland
reviews: 4
6. Re: Old School OC

The Irish House is now the Purple Moose. Never was Magees or Shanangans.

akron, oh
7. Re: Old School OC

i know the place was not tony's. was purple moose at a different location in the 70's because i do believe it was there then too...could have moved to different location when irish house closed up.

Ocean City, Maryland
reviews: 4
8. Re: Old School OC

Tony's was a German bar and a Dairy Queen connected to the old Roosevelt Hotel

which burned down.

reviews: 8
9. Re: Old School OC

Wow! The waterside!! One of the most clear memories of my childhood trips to OC in the 80s was that scary waterside! My older brother and mom both were the only ones in my family that would attempt this monster! Unfortunately both of them have sadly passed away, but this post reminded me of the great time we had!

Also, the haunted house! We have great pics of us standing in front of it when we were little!

Here's to making memories and traditions at ocean city with family! :)

Phoenix
reviews: 18
10. Re: Old School OC

Does anyone remember the alligator wrestling in the 1960's? It was by the Inlet on the bay side, where the Oceanic Hotel's beach is now. I guess it didn't go over well, because it lasted maybe 2 summers.

How about the old blind guy who played banjo and had a tin cup attached to it for tips? He would walk down the boardwalk while playing, feeling his way by the cracks in the concrete?

The Wild Mouse ride at Trimpers? Just watching it scared the heck out of me. I only rode it one time. That track was so skinny, it looked like it could break apart at any time.

And I loved the wooden roller coaster at Ocean Playland.