We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boardwalk Fire

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ocean City, Maryland
Boardwalk Fire

There was a fire on the Ocean City boardwalk today that destroyed two stores and apartments above them. The location is at the corner of South Division St. and the boardwalk. The Dough Roller Restaurant and Daytons Chicken were burned along with Sunset T's. All of downtown OC was closed off to traffic due to the fire, as strong winds prevented fire fighters from stopping the blaze. Hundreds of spectators, visitors and locals alike gathered in the inlet parking lot to watch the fire. No one was reported to be injured, however one child was said to be rescued from an apartment over the burning stores.

Culpeper, Va
reviews: 2
1. Re: Boardwalk Fire

Oddly enough, I was at work today telling a customer that I'm going to OC for my honeymoon. He said he had never been and his friend who had also never been, mentioned a fire. I had no idea about it and didn't really think anything of it. I'm glad no one was hurt, though.

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 5
2. Re: Boardwalk Fire

My youngest was down this weekend for a retreat and called to tell me to watch the news because something was on fire on the boardwalk. Had to wait for the 6:00 news to find out it was a 9 alarm fire!

falls church va
reviews: 11
3. Re: Boardwalk Fire

It's a shame it had to happen. But I'm really glad they were able to contain it before many other businesses were damaged. It's really good that that wind didn't carry burning embers to other buildings in that area. Could have been a real disaster.

Essex MD
reviews: 1
4. Re: Boardwalk Fire

Looks like the winds helped prevent the fire from spreading and becoming even worse than what it was. If the wind would have been coming out of the south, Marty's Playland probably would have been lost too. Both the Dough Roller and Marty's buildings are old, containing lots of wood, and built back in the day when there were no firewalls required between buildings.

The Lehigh Valley
5. Re: Boardwalk Fire

Here's some pics of today's fire.

Very easy to see how this could have been much worse.

assateaguephotos.com/gallery/…272480024

Essex MD
reviews: 1
6. Re: Boardwalk Fire

Thanks for the link to the pictures.

The Lehigh Valley
7. Re: Boardwalk Fire

No problem John. Always glad to share.

The pics were taken by a member of a Delmarva surf fishing website that I belong to. Guess he was in the right place at the right time.

York, PA
reviews: 28
8. Re: Boardwalk Fire

Just a link to an article in the Baltimore Sun regarding the fire.

baltimoresun.com/news/…525774.story

falls church va
reviews: 11
9. Re: Boardwalk Fire

Incedible pic's!! Scary stuff isn't it?

10. Re: Boardwalk Fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 24, 2009